Second Skin Audio

Carbon Fiber Subwoofer Box?

i tried for a 12 testing and the box sounded horrible and by the way its a pain in the ass when trying to make a port and dealing with carbon fiber. Good luck tho.

:ninja:

How thick did you go (layers), and did you use any filler at all to increase the thickness?

Since I have unlimited access to carbon fiber and unlimited access to an autoclave, all the sides where 1/2 thick. Here are some pics for you

Autoclave

2011-01-06_16-51-08_484-1.jpg

2011-01-06_16-50-43_171-1.jpg

2011-01-06_16-51-18_85.jpg

CARBON FIBER

2011-06-22_16-21-10_613-1.jpg

PREPREG

2011-06-22_16-53-37_936.jpg

2011-06-22_16-53-51_212.jpg

PRESS PLATE

2011-06-22_16-22-21_773.jpg

As I stated before it sounded like shit. But hey maybe you can achieve some things I was unable to. Good luck

and no there are no pics of the box. I ended up scrapping it when i was done. that and when i tried to use bolts for my terminals and forgot that the carbon was conductive :madsign: oh well.

Edited by sensai_v3.6

When your at the top everyone is coming for you, friends, family, haters and even those who don't know you.. my advice.. KILL EM ALL

you could build the box then CF on top. CF look but not!

just asking, but would a sealed enclosure have less problems with flex or resonance? I was just wondering

this idea has Rear folding seat, flush mount CF box written all over it

I think that in theory (my own, dumb imaginary theory) the smaller the sub, the less the excursion, the less power is placed on it, the less the box density matters. And yes, I would assume that a sealed box would probably have less issue with resonance also....especially if it was filled with polyfill or the like. But I think Skullz hit the nail on the head. It just isn't practical. And by practical, I'm not speaking strictly about the cost of such a thing, but more so the work involved and time wasted to get it to even work with just a small sub moving little air. Like I said above, maybe I'll try it with a small sub first?

2006 Cadillac Escalade

2/3 drop on 28" wheels

Two RE SX 18" subs

RF T2500-1bdCP amp, 3531watts on birthsheet

Custom carbon fiber sub box

EVERYTHING else is stock, for now

149.4 @ 37hz, Termlab, dash, open window on two AQ3 18s all stock electrical, wired to .25 ohm on a RF T2500

148.8 @ 36hz, Termlab, dash, open window on one AQ3 18 all stock electrical, wired to .5 ohm on a RF T2500

147.8 @ 38hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on two RE SX 18s

146.4 @ 36hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on one RE SX 18

Link to my hack-built, stupid, carbon fiber wasting project.... http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/149946-carbon-fiber-box-update-1494db-37hz-on-tl/

http://gifsoup.com/NDM3MTc1MQ

it might be cool...but with all the trouble it'd be to make one, i'd just as soon build one out of wood/fiberglass and cover it with carbon fiber. that'd be the part you're going to see anyways. maybe get fancy and put it in the port too

Thanks for the input Sensai. If you couldn't make it work with 1/2" thick solid CF, I'm just not going to waste my time then. Although I AM the only guy building CF motor plates for race cars after quite a few people (wiser than I) told me it couldn't be done economicly. And my motor plates have been on drag cars running 6s and 7s in the 1/4 mile at over 200 MPH, with over 2000 horsepower!! I won't share my secret technique for building the plates, but I will say that prepreg and an autoclave did NOT provide the greatest structural integrity or the greatest density for such CF pieces.

I've never been one to shy away from a challenge, but in this instance, I think that your previous experience with it is enough for me to forego attemting to surmount that challenge.

Edited by Captain Stupid

2006 Cadillac Escalade

2/3 drop on 28" wheels

Two RE SX 18" subs

149.4 @ 37hz, Termlab, dash, open window on two AQ3 18s all stock electrical, wired to .25 ohm on a RF T2500

148.8 @ 36hz, Termlab, dash, open window on one AQ3 18 all stock electrical, wired to .5 ohm on a RF T2500

Link to my hack-built, stupid, carbon fiber wasting project.... http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/149946-carbon-fiber-box-update-1494db-37hz-on-tl/

CF sub box made purposely for spl as in a burp box might be the most ideal way to go since the material is so reflective it could increase the output more than one made from mdf with resin on the walls. i would not try to make one for listening to music cause of all the serious amounts of reflections and cancellations going on inside it.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Thanks for the input Sensai. If you couldn't make it work with 1/2" thick solid CF, I'm just not going to waste my time then. Although I AM the only guy building CF motor plates for race cars after quite a few people (wiser than I) told me it couldn't be done economicly. And my motor plates have been on drag cars running 6s and 7s in the 1/4 mile at over 200 MPH, with over 2000 horsepower!! I won't share my secret technique for building the plates, but I will say that prepreg and an autoclave did NOT provide the greatest structural integrity or the greatest density for such CF pieces.

I've never been one to shy away from a challenge, but in this instance, I think that your previous experience with it is enough for me to forego attemting to surmount that challenge.

hey like I stated man you may actually be able to get it to work. Im no genius and im only an expert at drinking vodka and being a certified ninja. Try something small for like an 8 and see if it works. Maybe use some of the processes you use for the plates you were talking about and see if that will work. You never know man. If you need any help with anything just let me know.

When your at the top everyone is coming for you, friends, family, haters and even those who don't know you.. my advice.. KILL EM ALL

hey like I stated man you may actually be able to get it to work. Im no genius and im only an expert at drinking vodka and being a certified ninja. Try something small for like an 8 and see if it works. Maybe use some of the processes you use for the plates you were talking about and see if that will work. You never know man. If you need any help with anything just let me know.

Yeah, if I do try, it would be a single small sub at first. I'm really curious though, how many layers of CF did it take you to build up to 1/2" and what process did you use? The stuff I build is fairly dense for 1/4", but it takes 28 layers to do it using my process. I'm guessing you didn't build an entire sub box 56 layers thick?

2006 Cadillac Escalade

2/3 drop on 28" wheels

Two RE SX 18" subs

• 7 years later...