Sonic Electronix

What is so special about the box?

Tuning is in theory the lowest frequency you can play before you start sloping down when you play lower frequencies, like if you box is tuned to 32hz, you can play 32 to the 50's flat in theory. You can still play the 20's but it won't be as loud as the frequencies within your tuning frequency. Lower the tuning usually, better your box is for music because you have better range of frequencies, though of course, if you tune too low, you lose output in the higher bass frequencies. For a good daily box that allows you to maintain sound quality while maintaining output, you usually tune to low to mid 30's in general.

Lol NO!

The tuning point is where your box loses its ability to dampen (or control) the excursion (movement) of your subwoofer's suspension. Output usually decreases dramatically below tuning, depending on the design of the box.

That's what I said when I mean't sloping down on the db's of the frequencies when you play below tuning if you were to look from a chart. I don't know what happens to the sub mechanically when it plays below tuning but I know the results of what happens when it does sound wise.

Eh. I was a lil harsh. But people will think "Oh no, my output will drop below tuning! Let me tune to 12hz because I want to play lowzzz!"

Lol. I mean I'm tuned at 28 and can play to about 24hz before I lose a lot of output and it's a big compromise compared to the average person tuned to 32+ But my listening habits aren't the same as most people's. That's what it's all about, tuning to your listening habits. Not tuning to your Decaf playlist (or any other single playlist/genre for that matter.)

No.

Build it yourself. You learn that way too

There are plenty of members on here who will help you and walk you through how to do it ;)

So now I understand what tuning does. Now on to what to get. I have the money for a dual 12" enclosure from Dave, but am I getting my money's worth? $295 is a lot of money, especially knowing you can get a box for around $50.

I went from a $60 sealed box to a $285 ported one (built to my specs).

It's like night and fucking day. Incredible difference. If you can afford it...buy both and swap them out. You will be very surprised with how much better a good box is.

No.

There are plenty of members on here who will help you and walk you through how to do it ;)

Speaking for myself here...but not everybody has the tools. If he does then yeah, build it. To some people "Tools" means a socket set, a couple of screw drivers and a box cutter lol.

Hell, I didn't even have a drill until 3 months ago lawl.

Yeah, for that much, you're better off learning to build one yourself, which is not that hard, just takes alot of time and patience to do it right.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

285? How many sheets of wood is that.

20 bucks for glue and screws = 20

265/30 = 8 sheets of mdf

that must be a stout box.

and enough for a pizza

thats because i dont buy i build.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Tuning is in theory the lowest frequency you can play before you start sloping down when you play lower frequencies, like if you box is tuned to 32hz, you can play 32 to the 50's flat in theory. You can still play the 20's but it won't be as loud as the frequencies within your tuning frequency. Lower the tuning usually, better your box is for music because you have better range of frequencies, though of course, if you tune too low, you lose output in the higher bass frequencies. For a good daily box that allows you to maintain sound quality while maintaining output, you usually tune to low to mid 30's in general.

Lol NO!

The tuning point is where your box loses its ability to dampen (or control) the excursion (movement) of your subwoofer's suspension. Output usually decreases dramatically below tuning, depending on the design of the box.

That's what I said when I mean't sloping down on the db's of the frequencies when you play below tuning if you were to look from a chart. I don't know what happens to the sub mechanically when it plays below tuning but I know the results of what happens when it does sound wise.

Eh. I was a lil harsh. But people will think "Oh no, my output will drop below tuning! Let me tune to 12hz because I want to play lowzzz!"

Lol. I mean I'm tuned at 28 and can play to about 24hz before I lose a lot of output and it's a big compromise compared to the average person tuned to 32+ But my listening habits aren't the same as most people's. That's what it's all about, tuning to your listening habits. Not tuning to your Decaf playlist (or any other single playlist/genre for that matter.)

It's alright, I don't know everything

That's a very good point as well

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

So now I understand what tuning does. Now on to what to get. I have the money for a dual 12" enclosure from Dave, but am I getting my money's worth? $295 is a lot of money, especially knowing you can get a box for around $50.

I went from a $60 sealed box to a $285 ported one (built to my specs).

It's like night and fucking day. Incredible difference. If you can afford it...buy both and swap them out. You will be very surprised with how much better a good box is.

No.

Speaking for myself here...but not everybody has the tools. If he does then yeah, build it. To some people "Tools" means a socket set, a couple of screw drivers and a box cutter lol.

Hell, I didn't even have a drill until 3 months ago lawl.

Hey I built my box with nothing but screws, a drill, various things for weight, glue, and a friend's router

It can be done. Although you might have to seal some leaks from the home depot panel saw

Archived