Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I was thinking... Why do we have huge space suits that are really clunky to move around in?

Why don't we simply have skin tight, mesh suit that is form fitted to the astronaut to counteract the effects of space? Kind of like trying to inflate a balloon inside a mesh cage - it will take much more of a pressure differential to pop the balloon when it has so many points of contact pushing in on it. Now apply that where the human skin is the balloon and the mesh cage is a tight fitting suit. Or maybe go a step further and put 'muscle wire' or similar throughout the fabric so it is easier to put on yet will still fit tight.. If the human body cannot 'boil' inside of such a tight fitting suit due to it controlling the maximum volume a person can expand to?

Surely I'm not the first to think of something like this. So why don't the space missions use it / why wouldn't it work (ignoring the weather of space)

Discuss

Posted

It's thick, and bulky for a reason, though I don't remember exactly, there are heating/cooling devices inside the spacesuit to keep the astronauts at body temperature, there's also communication devices, oxygen supply, and water supply to keep them hydrated.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget


2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Posted

Why don't we just use soaking towels? That way you're always nice and wet!

genius-meme-1.jpg

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

Posted

How would you control the temprature in said suit? also radiation

Suits now have water circulating in them to control the temperature, and don't really provide any defense against radiation anyway.

One could implement those same technologies along with insulation along the outside of said suit to help stave off the temperature variants. But that's beside the point :)

I'm talking about this from a dexterity perspective. It seems like one of the biggest hindrances our astronauts face is trying to fight the pressure inside the suit to move around.

Posted

Funny thing Drifter, it has already been thought of. They are trying to perfect it. I watched something about this just a few weeks ago, only problem is I can't remember if it was on TV like History or NatGeo or if it was on one of the many Space docs I've watched on Netflix.

Not exactly what I watched but yeah

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2810 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...