79Bronco Posted September 17, 2012 Author Report Posted September 17, 2012 hope you're not gonna be running the square kicker woofers, judging on the square subwoofers drawn in the picture. yep, they're what I have, so they're what I'll use until I can swap them out. I've decided to go with two of the dayton ND105-4 and DC28FS (thanks Bobby!) They look like really good, budget friendly speakers. As for a passive crossover, about what frequency do I want to cross these over at? Source: Parrot Asteroid Smart Processor: Digital Designs X1 Amps: Soundstream Ref 4.920 + Soundstream Ref 4.400 + Soundstream DTR 3400 Front stage: Hertz 165xl + HL 70 + HT28 Rear fill: Hertz 165xl Subs: 2 SA-12's 3-way active ftw
BobbyG2 Posted September 18, 2012 Report Posted September 18, 2012 As high as you can go imo, 6k seems like a good point *New vehicle and system coming soon.*
rockFord_Expedition Posted September 18, 2012 Report Posted September 18, 2012 I may have missed this, but do you already have your mid/high amps? Depending on what you want out of your 8's, have you considered using a 5 channel? Not so much a suggestion, but just another option, maybe. Depending on the amp, it could prevent the need for splitting your rca's. Old School/New School RF Build March 2015 SOTM Winner How to crimp large wire
bassface Posted September 18, 2012 Report Posted September 18, 2012 I would probably run both sets of components off the 4 channel and run the 8's off the 2 channel. Just to keep everything together.
79Bronco Posted September 18, 2012 Author Report Posted September 18, 2012 First off, thanks for all of the replies. I knew I'd get good feedback from this forum. I have a 50x4 as a temporary setup until I can afford a good amp, but a good amp for the 4"s and 1"s are next on my list of things to buy. I found the ND105-4 here for only $16. I will be ordering two of them this week. http://www.diysoundg...09/nd105-4.html likewise, here are the tweeters for only $17 each. http://www.diysoundg...om/dc28f-8.html I will probably wind up going with this crossover from VM Innovations. Their customer service is simply top notch, and these crossovers are around 5khz @ 12db/octave http://www.vminnovat...orks-Pair-.html Questions: 1 - From what I understand, since the mid is 4 ohm and the tweet is 8 ohm, I can expect half as much power will be sent to the tweet. Also, is it true that this will affect my crossover settings as well (crossing over at a frequency lower than 5khz?) 2 - Lastly, the ND105 is rated at 30watts RMS. I understand that this is a full range rating, but since it will not see less than 100hz, (even higher once the 8's are ordered) what kind of power can I realistically deliver. Yes, I have an oscope to make sure the signal is clean. Source: Parrot Asteroid Smart Processor: Digital Designs X1 Amps: Soundstream Ref 4.920 + Soundstream Ref 4.400 + Soundstream DTR 3400 Front stage: Hertz 165xl + HL 70 + HT28 Rear fill: Hertz 165xl Subs: 2 SA-12's 3-way active ftw
BobbyG2 Posted September 18, 2012 Report Posted September 18, 2012 I would run the mid/tweet off the four channel with a passive crossover and the highpass on the amp set to 500, and the 8's off the 2 channel with the highpass set somewhere between 60-80 (depends on your sub stage and how badass the 8's are) and the lowpass set at 500. With the different ohm loads, yes your power will be reduced to the tweeter. The Mid will be crossed at 5k but the tweet will be crossed somewhere else. I'd suggest matching ohm loads and sensitivities. *New vehicle and system coming soon.*
79Bronco Posted September 18, 2012 Author Report Posted September 18, 2012 All of this electrical law has my head hurting. Can someone point me to a reasonably priced passive crossover that will work with my 8 ohm tweeter and 4 ohm midbass running at about 40-50 watts rms on the mid and 20-25 watts rms on the tweeter? crossed over somewhere around 5khz-6khz @ 12db/octave. Source: Parrot Asteroid Smart Processor: Digital Designs X1 Amps: Soundstream Ref 4.920 + Soundstream Ref 4.400 + Soundstream DTR 3400 Front stage: Hertz 165xl + HL 70 + HT28 Rear fill: Hertz 165xl Subs: 2 SA-12's 3-way active ftw
blownengine Posted September 18, 2012 Report Posted September 18, 2012 This is not what I thought when I read "3 way"..... 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA Big 3 with Yellow Top 15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)
SlamminBeats Posted September 18, 2012 Report Posted September 18, 2012 rumor has it kicker subs actually make your car quieter than it was without subs .02 cents /rant
79Bronco Posted September 18, 2012 Author Report Posted September 18, 2012 This is not what I thought when I read "3 way"..... rumor has it kicker subs actually make your car quieter than it was without subs .02 cents /rant Thanks for the thread dump! Source: Parrot Asteroid Smart Processor: Digital Designs X1 Amps: Soundstream Ref 4.920 + Soundstream Ref 4.400 + Soundstream DTR 3400 Front stage: Hertz 165xl + HL 70 + HT28 Rear fill: Hertz 165xl Subs: 2 SA-12's 3-way active ftw
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.