Jump to content

This is why I love this place


Recommended Posts

Posted

May I ask why you suggest 12sq in of port? I would think more port the better for getting the air moving.

moving air and hammering the lows with authority while sounding good are two different things. 12sqin of port will sound much better at 25-30hz than one with 16-18 sqin of port, if the box is designed right. The more port will be peakier also and have quicker roll off than one will less port area. A lot of youtubers or forum people may suggest out of their ass that you need the most port area possible. I suggest going to a couple different Meca or sound comps and listen to some different setups. It is very surprising to sit in a big hair tricking setup only to realize it doesn't sound that good.

Not saying this against what you are telling me. I was looking at a design i put together with 60sqin of port, at 14.4 per foot i believe, I actually never go above 15 when I design things, if that would make any bit of a difference. How would the highs be different on 12sqin compared to 14-15?

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

  • Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5
Posted

I have to agree with TeamHT, I actual found the topic and read it all and I didn't really see that big of a problem. :pardon:

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

Posted

May I ask why you suggest 12sq in of port? I would think more port the better for getting the air moving.

moving air and hammering the lows with authority while sounding good are two different things. 12sqin of port will sound much better at 25-30hz than one with 16-18 sqin of port, if the box is designed right. The more port will be peakier also and have quicker roll off than one will less port area. A lot of youtubers or forum people may suggest out of their ass that you need the most port area possible. I suggest going to a couple different Meca or sound comps and listen to some different setups. It is very surprising to sit in a big hair tricking setup only to realize it doesn't sound that good.

Not saying this against what you are telling me. I was looking at a design i put together with 60sqin of port, at 14.4 per foot i believe, I actually never go above 15 when I design things, if that would make any bit of a difference. How would the highs be different on 12sqin compared to 14-15?

I've read that lower port area on tuning >30 hz gives you better range, like if I recall, one of the members mentioned he had a box tuned to 30 hz with 10 sq in per ft, and he could play from 18 to 65 hz with no problem, and that the lower tuning doesn't need as much port as the higher tuning due to the peak air velocity being at frequency lower than typical music from what I read.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget


2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Posted

May I ask why you suggest 12sq in of port? I would think more port the better for getting the air moving.

moving air and hammering the lows with authority while sounding good are two different things. 12sqin of port will sound much better at 25-30hz than one with 16-18 sqin of port, if the box is designed right. The more port will be peakier also and have quicker roll off than one will less port area. A lot of youtubers or forum people may suggest out of their ass that you need the most port area possible. I suggest going to a couple different Meca or sound comps and listen to some different setups. It is very surprising to sit in a big hair tricking setup only to realize it doesn't sound that good.

Not saying this against what you are telling me. I was looking at a design i put together with 60sqin of port, at 14.4 per foot i believe, I actually never go above 15 when I design things, if that would make any bit of a difference. How would the highs be different on 12sqin compared to 14-15?

Typically the more port area will hit the higher notes harder than the lower port area box but falls off very quickly below tuning or way above it. This is assuming box boxes are tuned at 30-32hz and same cube size.

My last setup had 11.5 sq in of port and loved the lows (3.65cu tuned at 29hz) for one 15. I could play a sweep and it had about the same output from 25hz all the way to 45hz to the ear. Yeah the next guy could beat me on a meter at 40hz but mine "sounded" much better below 35hz.

My current setup is the same way, I now have 14.5 port area but the SP4's have a high Xmax and can handle the port area better. Mine may not meter as high as some others but sounds incredible and I never build for the meter in my own vehicle. But even with the SP4's the rollout to the ear is quicker than before and I may actually try less port area to see how it reacts.

2012 F250 Lariat 6.7, lifted on 22's and 35's

4 DSS Ethos 18's walled tuned low

2 Ampere Audio 7500.1's, Ampere 125.4

Rockford Pro Audio front stage

9 batteries, Mechman Elite 370 alt

Team DSS, Team Ampere Audio

2014 Meca Mod 3 TN State champ / 3rd place Mod 3 World Finals

32d73d87-e373-4a49-8914-d25decfa6dcc_zps

Posted

Well the SSD's have 20xmax, while SP4's have a whole crapaly 33 lol, first time I ever seen what it was, WOW. SO you think maybe a tuning of 33Hz with 12.5 sqin per foot, and about 4.1-4.2cu ft would work well?

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

  • Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5
Posted

Well the SSD's have 20xmax, while SP4's have a whole crapaly 33 lol, first time I ever seen what it was, WOW. SO you think maybe a tuning of 33Hz with 12.5 sqin per foot, and about 4.1-4.2cu ft would work well?

That would work fine and play a wide range of music. If you have the room I would go with at least 4.5 net after all displacement.

2012 F250 Lariat 6.7, lifted on 22's and 35's

4 DSS Ethos 18's walled tuned low

2 Ampere Audio 7500.1's, Ampere 125.4

Rockford Pro Audio front stage

9 batteries, Mechman Elite 370 alt

Team DSS, Team Ampere Audio

2014 Meca Mod 3 TN State champ / 3rd place Mod 3 World Finals

32d73d87-e373-4a49-8914-d25decfa6dcc_zps

Posted

I will check, i was alwways used to designing with 14-15sq in of port and those take up a lot more space

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

  • Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5
Posted

Less port with lower tuning has worked out better for me in many installs. I too, also believed lower tuning and gobs of port. But response, authority, and ability to get low was more noticeable to the ear and termlab with less port. 12^2 of port is what I'm doing now with six 15"s, 12k watts, and tuned to 30hz

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3347 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...