Clif Designs repair attempt: Assembled

mbdblue

There's a guy that repairs DD's amps out of OKC, not exactly sure of his name, but I got with him by going through Frank Lopez. He fixed my Zapco, a buddies older SoundStream 10k, well and a lot of other Oklahoman guys stuff plus all of DD's stuff. He might be worth getting intouch with, Frank Lopez, if he is still doing it.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

There's a guy that repairs DD's amps out of OKC, not exactly sure of his name, but I got with him by going through Frank Lopez. He fixed my Zapco, a buddies older SoundStream 10k, well and a lot of other Oklahoman guys stuff plus all of DD's stuff. He might be worth getting intouch with, Frank Lopez, if he is still doing it.

thanks man, I'll keep him in mind. A member on CACO told me he's had success with direct leads on his 4800 so I think I'm gonna try that out. But if I power it up and it has an issue, I'll be SOL again. So we'll see

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

Decided to take a crack at repairing at least the speaker terminals myself. De-soldered the broken tabs out. Gonna order some 12 gauge speaker wire to replace it.

But first, my iron is too big to fit the tip I wanted so I made an adapter out of some 3/8" aluminum rod....

oh62kl.jpg

4ikaiw.jpg

25a56w3.jpg

savdpf.jpg

akgwut.jpg

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

good luck bro and keep us updated, hope it all works out

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

Thanks guys, I hope it does too. There are a couple places I would call "questionable" where the solder seems to bridge to the next through hole....Only problem is, I don't know enough about amp components to know if that has a negative effect or not...If that's where the power is going anyway, it shouldn't make a difference. Either way, I'm not gonna be taking anything off; just fixing stuff that looks sloppy, buying new thermal paste, and repainting the chassis.

Looking to see how this turns out man. Good luck. My friend had an amp just sitting in the rear of his suv sliding around and one day he ripped the pos and neg terminals out of the amp and we had to solder in direct leads. It worked out and I believe he is still using it in his Miata.

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Fi Audio BL 15 (Sealed Off)
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400
- SkyHigh OFC power/speaker wire
- Big 3 with SkyHigh 0gauge
Build Log: Click Here

Scores: 146.5db @ 29hz Outlaw

I think 12 gauge will be fine....If anything, I can double it. The amp won't be 10 feet away from the subs, any larger and I wouldn't be able to put the wire through the holes in the board....(I know because I have 40 ft. of 8 gauge sitting here).

I hope it works out too. I just got more stuff to keep going on the amp, (thermal paste, paint, wire). I'm gonna bring it to work either tomorrow or friday to DA the whole thing and knock down the high spots. Then I'll take it home over the weekend and do some filler work ( I still have both Dolphin Glaze and some Rage left...but I like how quick the Dolphin hardens and works more like a spot putty so I'll probably use that.) For now, I cleaned up the thermal paste off everything

13zpovt.jpg

302xwfn.jpg

2qvh7cn.jpg

30t31b9.jpg

2nh3n5x.jpg

alriiiight....Took the chassis to work today, couple minutes with the DA and it was done. Didn't want to go nuts cuz the highest grit we had was 80 and I don't feel like having to sand down the whole amp (with heavy grit anyway). Gonna use some dolphin glaze tonight if I get motivated enough. Just have to pick up some 320 and 400 grit tomorrow and finish off the prep; Then I'll probably paint it at work on monday since it's already too cold here to paint outside or in the garage.

While the glaze dries and I get to sanding, I can solder in the speaker terminal extensions. I'm playing with the idea of mounting a small piece of aluminum to the end plate for the wires to go through, just so there isn't a big rectangular hole there.

2n1i5aw.jpg

tapv7l.jpg

o03tcy.jpg

Archived