explorer v8 swap engine management

iv got a 91 ford explorer that has a 4.0 v6 i want to swap in a 5.0 in the next year, i have a good idea on which engine i want, i want a fuel injection motor and iv been researching on what people have done for the v8 swap in the explorer and or ranger, the big problem with the explorers is that the wiring is a pain in the butt, and the motor runs off coil packs and the motor i want is ran off a distributor, my main question is if anybody has had any experience with running an aftermarket engine management system on the explorers r rangers that run off coil packs. or any cmpanies that make an engine management system for my truck, iv been lookig but no luck because not many people run it of an aftermarket engine management they run use a engine harness from the donor vehicle. i want to keep in a budget when i do it and im gunna do it all myself because iv done engine swaps in cars growing up and now i want to do it to my truck. i want to get all the parts together before i start the project. any help on it or input i will appriciate.

Forget a stand alone engine management. that will cost you more than the engine will and make the swap stupid expensive. You dont have to run the coil packs...just get a 5.0 from a truck,mustang or crown vic...you want the one from a mustang though..89-93 if you plan on midding it as those years have mass air. 87-88 had speed density and 86 had junk heads and horrible cfi injection. The crown vic and truck motors only make 150hp or 175hp..depending if the vehicle had the factory dual exhaust when new. Mustang were 225hp. Avoid the 94-95 engines as the mass air system in those can be a pain. Just google 91 explorer 5.0 swap and you will find tons of info.

2012 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition-Singer 240A Alt, Odyssey Battery,Pioneer AVH-2550NEX head-unit, Pioneer GM-DX874 powering Kicker CSS67 front-CSC5 rear, and Memphis PR 1.1000 powering 12in SSA ICON in G.P. ported box.

2003 Tahoe-320A Alt, Odyssey Batt,2 Resilient Sounds Gold 15's sealed powered by Crescendo BC2000D, Turbulent Designs Ported box AVH601EX head unit and Pioneer 3ways in all doors.

You do NOT have to run coil packs...and tune it yourself? Unless you are making 750-1k hp there is no need for stand alone system on a 5.0. And again you DO NOT want a 87-88 engine they are speed density and do NOT respond to mods well. You would have to do a mass air upgrade anyway so just start with a mass air engine and harness. There's nothing complex about it....your explorer already has most of the same "style" sensors. If you even aded heads,cam,intake,headers hell even a blower you would not need a stand alone system and try to tune it with a laptop. You would be throwing money away.

2012 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition-Singer 240A Alt, Odyssey Battery,Pioneer AVH-2550NEX head-unit, Pioneer GM-DX874 powering Kicker CSS67 front-CSC5 rear, and Memphis PR 1.1000 powering 12in SSA ICON in G.P. ported box.

2003 Tahoe-320A Alt, Odyssey Batt,2 Resilient Sounds Gold 15's sealed powered by Crescendo BC2000D, Turbulent Designs Ported box AVH601EX head unit and Pioneer 3ways in all doors.

Forget a stand alone engine management. that will cost you more than the engine will and make the swap stupid expensive. You dont have to run the coil packs...just get a 5.0 from a truck,mustang or crown vic...you want the one from a mustang though..89-93 if you plan on midding it as those years have mass air. 87-88 had speed density and 86 had junk heads and horrible cfi injection. The crown vic and truck motors only make 150hp or 175hp..depending if the vehicle had the factory dual exhaust when new. Mustang were 225hp. Avoid the 94-95 engines as the mass air system in those can be a pain. Just google 91 explorer 5.0 swap and you will find tons of info.

megasquirt can be quite cheap, if you know what you're doing.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

I think the TV show Trucks did an episode on this swap. You should see if you can find that episode on youtube or hit up the explorer forum and see what guys who have done the swap have to say. http://www.explorerforum.com

Even better idea, sell your exploder, buy one already with the v8 in it then start making the mods you want rather than dealing with all of the bullshit headaches.

Daily Driver 1999 Kia Sephia

Kenwood DNX-893s
Audison Bit One Processor
2 Dat 4.125's
Sundown Audio SCV-6k
Hertz hsk-165xl's Mids running active                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Focal V30 Series Tweeters running active 
Sundown Sa-8 v1's in the doors
2 Sundown Zv5 12's 
Lots of Hushmat
Big 3+ and 3 + & 3- runs of Trystar 2/0
2 Dc Power Engineering 320 HP Alts

2017 Comp Vehicle
2006 Toyota 4 Runner
Kenwood Excelon DNX-893s                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Audison Bit One HD DSP
4 Sundown Sa 6.5v2 Component Sets 
Focal Access 6.5 2 ways
Sundown Audio Sax-50.4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Sundown Audio Sax-100.4
2 Dc Power 370xp
Northstar agm27f
Northstar agm65
2 Northstar asmagm 480's
2 Dual 1 Sundown Nightshade v3 12's
2 Sundown SCV-7500's
All SMD Fuse Holders
Shitload Of Sundown 1/0

120 sq ft Second Skin Damp Pro

No, Its Not A Burp Truck!!!!

2016 Season 3rd place in Xtreme 1 At Finals

2016 Season 6th Place In Kaos 1 At Finals ( Blew The Subs Up In First Round Eliminations)

2 Kansas State Records Set In 2016 In Xtreme 1 And Kaos 1 In Midwest SPL

2-1.jpgsa.jpg
DCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

David said:

audio is a lifestyle, not a hobby

newls1
I cant read a tape to save my life... 1/2's are ok, but other marks confuse me
kingsuv
only men who cant read a tape, take it in the ass
kingsuv
you sir, get a pink hard hat on jobsites

Just get everything from a stock explorer that already has the v8 in it, steal the computer and everything from it, and bingo your good to go.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

Even better idea, sell your exploder, buy one already with the v8 in it then start making the mods you want rather than dealing with all of the bullshit headaches.

Great answer. I don't know your background, but if the swap doesnt work as well as you'd like or there are issues. you will spend more and money than its worth.

Archived