Second Skin Audio

ss xxx 18 help for 150db

Nao

have a big audio fund!! throw power on power. like 6k you are very borderline with the crescendo 5500. and have an alt and reserves and test boxes on boxes. then deadnen seal off or maybe see if its louder not sealed. just test like crazy. OFC wire good quality products then just maybe, not guaranteed you will do 150

didn't know 150 was so difficult to achieve but thanks i'll see how it goes but where i live its all hell to get the right high end stuff everything has to be ordered i juet wanted some options to look into as i move forward.....as far as box goes how much port area you think it needed i was thinking 2 6 inch aeros or 1 8 inch what best the box should be 7.25cuft and about lil above 6 cuft after displacement

It's possible but it's going to take a lot of planning, tuning, testing, testing, and more testing.

Very good advice!!! If you don't have access to a Term-Lab that's bad news. You need to know if what you are doing is helping or hurting.

2012 North American Street Stock Runner-up - 150.9 on 1800 clamped watts (Teammate)
2013 dB Drag Street Trunk World Champion - 153.9 on 3200 clamped Watts (Teammate)
2013 MECA Trunk 1 World Champion - 152.8 Headrest (Teammate)
2013 MECA Park & Pound 2 World Champion - 130.6 (Teammate)

Checkout our build and videos !! : ) 150+ Trunk Build Log itsgordy1 youtube channel (click for Hairtricks)

Smith's Custom Seats
Martinsburg, PA

(Second Skin Dealer)

have a big audio fund!! throw power on power. like 6k you are very borderline with the crescendo 5500. and have an alt and reserves and test boxes on boxes. then deadnen seal off or maybe see if its louder not sealed. just test like crazy. OFC wire good quality products then just maybe, not guaranteed you will do 150

didn't know 150 was so difficult to achieve but thanks i'll see how it goes but where i live its all hell to get the right high end stuff everything has to be ordered i juet wanted some options to look into as i move forward.....as far as box goes how much port area you think it needed i was thinking 2 6 inch aeros or 1 8 inch what best the box should be 7.25cuft and about lil above 6 cuft after displacement

We don´t think about portarea, we calculate them and than we play with her arround. Rule by thump build a bigger port, it´s easyer to make them smaller than bigger.

"in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley

You don't need all that much power to get to 150 depending on the efficiency of you box. One way to achieve it is power, the other way is efficiency and a hell of a lot of testing and tuning. Sealing off the trunk well so there is no gain in db when the trunk is open is a must. If you test it with the trunk closed and then open the trunk and your score goes up, you need to find more leaks in your seal off job.

Bump, have you done any tests of OFC wire vs CCA wire as it pertains to voltage drop and SPL? We did a test right before dbDRA finals to see if running some more 1/0 would help our score or not. We are going to retest and make a video of the results, but surprisingly they were VERY comparable to each other. 2 JL 1000/1 amps pulling over 220 amps of current. We want to retest with non regulated amps though to see if that makes a difference.

2012 North American Street Stock Runner-up - 150.9 on 1800 clamped watts (Teammate)
2013 dB Drag Street Trunk World Champion - 153.9 on 3200 clamped Watts (Teammate)

Checkout our build and videos !! : ) 150+ Trunk Build Log itsgordy1 youtube channel (click for Hairtricks)

Smith's Custom Seats
Martinsburg, PA

(Second Skin Dealer)

One larger port should be louder than 2 smaller ports that equal the same cross sectional area even if its just a little bit.

Larger port area may lower your box rise slightly allowing you to get more power. This can be good if you do not have a power limit. In the case of the car from the videos above, we were competing in Street Stock so we had a 2000 watt limit. Our first port was over 100 sq inches of area and we were over power. We then built a 10" diameter round port that cut the port area to just under 80 sq inches. We were able to get louder on less power with the slightly smaller round port.

Take a look at Jordans build log here

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153606-2010-mazda3-trunk-build-150-db-basshead810/

He is just getting it started, but it will be very relevant to what you are trying to achieve. 150 db out of a trunk.

Its very possible, but you better be ready to spend a lot of time building boxes and testing. Your first try will probably not make it there. Term-Lab meter testing is a must as I stated before.

Smith's Custom Seats
Martinsburg, PA

(Second Skin Dealer)

Two 1,000 watt amps and you didn't see a difference in wire that can carry 250 amps and 300+ amps....hmmmmmmmmmm

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Single 18" from the trunk is going to need a little bit more than just hopes and testing. I almost want to assume the OP isn't building a burp box and with 5600 watts on tap you have a good start. Here's what I would do.

Beef the electrical up to supply ample, get rid of the 18", and seal off the trunk with two 15"s. Single port, deaden the trunk, test, tune, and hit a 50.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Two 1,000 watt amps and you didn't see a difference in wire that can carry 250 amps and 300+ amps....hmmmmmmmmmm

Voltage drop across the OFC wire (14 ft) was 0.66 to 0.69 volts on the couple tests we did. That includes a 300 amp fuse.

Replaced the wire with CCA of (14 ft) and the voltage drop was about 0.7 to 0.72 over that wire.

Both were clamped at around 220 amps of current.

Term-Lab score was the same db +/- 0.02

We need to retest this with unregulated amps (JL's are regulated), but the true test is the voltage drop across the wire. This measures the resistance of the wire at high current draw. If you check both wires with a DMM they will both say 0.0 or 0.1 ohms because it is a very small amount of current when checking with that.

A couple tenths of a volt is not worth paying twice the price for OFC wire to me!!!

2 runs of CCA will out perform 1 run of OFC and cost about the same.

Smith's Custom Seats
Martinsburg, PA

(Second Skin Dealer)

Single 18" from the trunk is going to need a little bit more than just hopes and testing. I almost want to assume the OP isn't building a burp box and with 5600 watts on tap you have a good start. Here's what I would do.

Beef the electrical up to supply ample, get rid of the 18", and seal off the trunk with two 15"s. Single port, deaden the trunk, test, tune, and hit a 50.

Why would he deaden the trunk if its sealed off?

You mean deaden the rear deck and the entrance to the trunk where the box is facing? Don't waste $$$ on deadener in the trunk where the bass will not even make it to.

Smith's Custom Seats
Martinsburg, PA

(Second Skin Dealer)

Why would he deaden the trunk if its sealed off?

You mean deaden the rear deck and the entrance to the trunk where the box is facing? Don't waste $$$ on deadener in the trunk where the bass will not even make it to.

he didnt say anything about deadening

it will be easier to achieve 150 if you wall your car

Archived