Tony,

This question doesnt have anything to do with your products, but you are the one guy that I know can probably answer this question.

Amp in question can take up to 6v input

Does an amplifier run more efficient with a higher input voltage at the RCA and the gain set to match(littel to no gain used) or with less input voltage and gain set to match(almost full gain used)?

Also why in testing has it shown that lower input voltage and more gain set to match has been louder than higher input voltage and less gain set to match. ex: 6v input vs .4v input.

Very good question. Have you tested this using your ear or term lab? I just wanted to know.

Build Under Construction

Head Unit = Kenwood DDX514

Amps = Kicker 750.1, Going to install Sundown 1500D v3 and Sundown 125.4

Battery = XS D3400

Wires = Kicker RCA's, 0 Gauge street wire and Stinger

Mids and Highs = Stock

Sub= Kicker L7 12"

Alternator = 220 Mechman

Sound Deadner= Fatmat and Stinger Road Kill

I have always been told and believed that the higher the input voltage, the less stress on the amp. Not sure if this is true or not. But a recent test has shown a .5db gain from 6v input and gain matched to .35v input and gain matched. Just curious about why this is. i am clueless about the inner workings of an amplifier, so I felt Tony was the best man to ask.

Did you scope the amp outputs at both matched levels? I wonder if maybe the second time you pushed into clipping a bit easier and thats why it was louder?

Ninja'd on the not your test part lol never mind haha

Edited by mrd6

Team NorthWestSPL

Once again, wasnt my test. Gains were set with a scope each time. matched clean output.

No need for everyone to speculate what could have happened. Just looking for an actual explanation from Tony. Unless you know the inner workings of an amp, this question probably goes over your head(went way over mine) thats why I am asking here.

LOL, love the question is for Tony and random people try to answer and ask Q's. See what he says, bet my answer is pretty close ;)

There is nothing wrong in asking Q's. The more you ask the more you learn. I would like to know the answer to the question.

Build Under Construction

Head Unit = Kenwood DDX514

Amps = Kicker 750.1, Going to install Sundown 1500D v3 and Sundown 125.4

Battery = XS D3400

Wires = Kicker RCA's, 0 Gauge street wire and Stinger

Mids and Highs = Stock

Sub= Kicker L7 12"

Alternator = 220 Mechman

Sound Deadner= Fatmat and Stinger Road Kill