Second Skin Audio

Does power effect box volume?

DubNDodge

Will be running 2 HDC3 12's on 1k. I will eventually upgrade to around a 3k amp.

I hear people talking about the box design will change due to the amount of power the sub will be getting. Is this true? Or is it just one of those things were just build it, it doesn't matter a huge amount for daily/demos.

Also, generally does the port location change the output? i.e. Side port vs center port. It's going to be forward facing sealed from trunk

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

The more power you are putting to your subs over rated RMS the smaller you want your box. The smaller box size will help control cone excess movement.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

yes. box size directly affects the subs mechanical power handling. so the smaller the box the more power they should be able to mechanically hold up to.

and yes port direction will make a difference. depending on the vehicle one direction will typically be better than others. then again with this question car audio is "theoretical" and your car may be different from another of the same make and model...testing will be your best friend for the answer to this question.

JonSig1_zpsaea3e8d2.gif

Contact us for the best quality cables and accessories with the fastest shipping in the industry

EMAIL: [email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

LIKE US ON FB: https://www.facebook.com/SkyHighCarAudio

ADD ME ON FB: https://www.facebook.com/jon.rabe.1

MONSTER SKY HIGH/DC GMC: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/127057-sky-high-monster-gmc-walk-through-12-lvl-5-15s-6-9ks-trim-panels-and-wiring-p-90/

you have it backwards. box volume can have an effect on observed power handling. For example, if you built a box for the subs right now with you're 1k amp, then you'd likely build it as large as recommended by AQ. The larger the box, typically the more efficient it is, as well, since the woofer will move more given lesser power. BUT, when you upgrade to 3k, you'd likely have to rebuild a smaller box, or run the risk of potentially damaging the softparts. If you wan't a guess on a happy medium, and I'm not SUPER keen on the AQ's, but I'd do like 2 cubes per sub tuned at 36ish

1999 Ford ExplorerTeam Sundown Audio4th 2012 Db Drag WF Street Stock 150.8dbYoutube Channel!http://www.youtube.com/user/BoomyurblownOperation 156 No wall Build Log!http://www.stevemead...x/#entry2196123

The air in the box serves almost like a "spring." The larger your box the lower the "springiness" of the box. The "springiness" of your box helps to control the mechanical movement of your driver. So you have a coupled relationship between your box's efficiency and its ability to help control the movement of your driver. In short if you're putting more power to a sub you want to to make the box smaller to give your sub more mechanical control in that situation at the cost of a lower efficiency. A larger box does not necessarily give your sub more thermal power handling.

1997 Lexus ES300

HU - Pioneer MVH 7350

Processor - Helix DSP

Front Stage - JBL P660C

Mid/high amp - Alpine PDX-F4

Subs - 1 IA Death Penalty 12

Sub Amp - Cactus Sounds PF300.1

you have it backwards. box volume can have an effect on observed power handling. For example, if you built a box for the subs right now with you're 1k amp, then you'd likely build it as large as recommended by AQ. The larger the box, typically the more efficient it is, as well, since the woofer will move more given lesser power. BUT, when you upgrade to 3k, you'd likely have to rebuild a smaller box, or run the risk of potentially damaging the softparts. If you wan't a guess on a happy medium, and I'm not SUPER keen on the AQ's, but I'd do like 2 cubes per sub tuned at 36ish

That pretty much exactly what I was asking for. It just seems sorta goofy. I figured that it would be the other way around, bigger box for more power, smaller for less. But everything stated makes sense now. I was planning on 5 cubes for both while on 1k, I might move that down a bit more so I wouldn't have to rebuild a new box. Either way, I guess it's just mdf.

Thanks!

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

The air in the box serves almost like a "spring." The larger your box the lower the "springiness" of the box. The "springiness" of your box helps to control the mechanical movement of your driver. So you have a coupled relationship between your box's efficiency and its ability to help control the movement of your driver. In short if you're putting more power to a sub you want to to make the box smaller to give your sub more mechanical control in that situation at the cost of a lower efficiency. A larger box does not necessarily give your sub more thermal power handling.

Let me grasp what was said. Efficiency means impedance rise or not? If so a smaller box will have a greater impedance rise while a larger box won't. So when it's all said and done. A 1k setup in a large box could be louder than a 3k in a small box. The large box will have a smaller rise than the smaller box. If this is the case, I might rethink getting the HDC3 and just stick with 1k on sdc2.5s

Let me grasp what was said. Efficiency means impedance rise or not? If so a smaller box will have a greater impedance rise while a larger box won't. So when it's all said and done. A 1k setup in a large box could be louder than a 3k in a small box. The large box will have a smaller rise than the smaller box. If this is the case, I might rethink getting the HDC3 and just stick with 1k on sdc2.5s

No not really.... but I don't have the words to explain

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

I may be wrong about this, but I believe efficiency of a box has to do with how much output it will create on so much power. The bigger box will be more efficient because the woofer is able to move more on less power, whereas it takes more power to move the same woofer in a smaller enclosure. However, this doesnt really mean that you could get louder on 500 watts per woofer rather than 1500 per woofer.

I also think I read on here somewhere that smaller boxes typically give you less impedance rise than larger boxes.

If anyone can confirm/correct all this, that would be great!

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

Archived