Second Skin Audio

Does power effect box volume?

DubNDodge

The air in the box serves almost like a "spring." The larger your box the lower the "springiness" of the box. The "springiness" of your box helps to control the mechanical movement of your driver. So you have a coupled relationship between your box's efficiency and its ability to help control the movement of your driver. In short if you're putting more power to a sub you want to to make the box smaller to give your sub more mechanical control in that situation at the cost of a lower efficiency. A larger box does not necessarily give your sub more thermal power handling.

Let me grasp what was said. Efficiency means impedance rise or not? If so a smaller box will have a greater impedance rise while a larger box won't. So when it's all said and done. A 1k setup in a large box could be louder than a 3k in a small box. The large box will have a smaller rise than the smaller box. If this is the case, I might rethink getting the HDC3 and just stick with 1k on sdc2.5s

the answer is in what you have been told already. a big box will have less pressure inside of it, allowing the sub to travel easier (more efficiently). while a small box creates more pressure and is less efficient. there is always a happy median between the two that takes some time, or luck, to find.

put them in 2 cubes each. 12"s in general do quite well with that airspace. its a safe size if you only want to build once.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

The smaller the box the greater the rise in most cases

in my testing I've seen the opposite.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Put money on it like last night

XS Power D5100, 2 D2700s, & 2 D975s

MechMan 220a Alt

DC 5K

Kicker 650.4

2 12 Ascendant Audio Mayhem's

Pioneer DEH-P7200HD

Rockford Fosgate 3sity.1

Build log: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/166792-88-nissan-maxima-trunk-build/#entry2430899

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/191439-lexus-is300-fi-crescendo-shca-rf-pics/

thats why i said in most cases in audio nothing is absolute.. i have seen it go both ways but for the most part smaller = greater rise :P

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

So you build a smaller box to control excursion. Along with that, you lose efficiency and low end frequency response.

If it is a daily system, build the box to give you the frequency response you desire, and then power it accordingly. If you over power it, use the subsonic filter to control excursion.

Impedance rise vs box size will depend on the sub parameters, box size, tuning frequency, and the frequency you are playing when you measure the impedance. Measure a sub outside of the box playing at Fs and see how much "free-air" rise you get. . .

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

and if I am not mistaken, box size does NOT effect thermal power handling.

Ported it shouldn't, but some will argue that it does in sealed.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

It can affect thermal power handling in a ported box in the aspect that changing enclosure size changes the amount of movement the sub experiences at a certain frequency, some cooling is directly related to coil/cone travel

Edit: this is usually negligible except in rare circumstances and extremes however

Team NorthWestSPL

The air in the box serves almost like a "spring." The larger your box the lower the "springiness" of the box. The "springiness" of your box helps to control the mechanical movement of your driver. So you have a coupled relationship between your box's efficiency and its ability to help control the movement of your driver. In short if you're putting more power to a sub you want to to make the box smaller to give your sub more mechanical control in that situation at the cost of a lower efficiency. A larger box does not necessarily give your sub more thermal power handling.

Let me grasp what was said. Efficiency means impedance rise or not? If so a smaller box will have a greater impedance rise while a larger box won't. So when it's all said and done. A 1k setup in a large box could be louder than a 3k in a small box. The large box will have a smaller rise than the smaller box. If this is the case, I might rethink getting the HDC3 and just stick with 1k on sdc2.5s

the answer is in what you have been told already. a big box will have less pressure inside of it, allowing the sub to travel easier (more efficiently). while a small box creates more pressure and is less efficient. there is always a happy median between the two that takes some time, or luck, to find.

put them in 2 cubes each. 12"s in general do quite well with that airspace. its a safe size if you only want to build once.

These two statements contradict each other don't they? I thought impedance rise meant the subwoofer was becoming less efficient. Because with rise, isn't it drawing less impedance from the amplifier? Or do I have it backwards?

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Archived