Second Skin Audio

too big for an hdc3?

Tim Lam

so i traded my friend one of my hdc3s for his 2 SA-12's and now we're building a box for him. (i had to pay for the box)

ANYWAYS, he wants a 3.1 cub box, a 6" aeroport and to run it all on a saz-1500.

i told him the box may be a bit too big for that power, but he replied he wanted to simply stuff the box with linen fabric.

i told him that was generally used for sealed boxes, and it would create more air friction.

he said his ported prefab box with his polk subs had stuffing so it would work too...

could someone please help me convince him that it's a bad idea.

so i traded my friend one of my hdc3s for his 2 SA-12's and now we're building a box for him. (i had to pay for the box)

ANYWAYS, he wants a 3.1 cub box, a 6" aeroport and to run it all on a saz-1500.

i told him the box may be a bit too big for that power, but he replied he wanted to simply stuff the box with linen fabric.

i told him that was generally used for sealed boxes, and it would create more air friction.

he said his ported prefab box with his polk subs had stuffing so it would work too...

could someone please help me convince him that it's a bad idea.

i say if u cant convince the guy about it, buy the material an do it his way, an when he says it doesnt sound that good, an has problems. then u can tell him i told u so. an mayb he will listen to u next time, sometimes people only learn from mistakes.

My build

98 s10 2.2

3 american bass HD 15s with psi soft parts. (on there way here)

atomic at-3000.1 (soon) 146.2 outlaw @39hz., bad alt an bad batt when termed (old 2 12" build)

alpine 6.5s in doors

infinty 4x6s in dash.

clarion cz201 HU.

mechman 240a H/O alt

stuff i still need.

SHCA 2/0 wire

SHCA 1/0 to 2/0 adapters

Atomic AT-3000.1

Lots of sound deadner

new mids an highs, still debating on what to do.

A few Deka g31 batts.

lol i already paid for the wood, and it was just his design.

i didn't really think about his design until now, as i was just dreading the fact that paying for his box and paying school fee's would drop my checking's to a measly $5.50

anyways, i think i'll just let him learn from his own mistake.

Hdc3s like big boxes, with lots of port. And 1500 watts is about enough to tickle that sub.

3 cubes is large but manageable for a 12 and small but manageable for a 15. You never said what size.

sorry its for a 12"

so you think it could perform well in a 3.1 cube box, tuned to 32 Hz, and run on a saz 1500 on good electrical?

Hdc3s like big boxes, with lots of port. And 1500 watts is about enough to tickle that sub.

3 cubes is large but manageable for a 12 and small but manageable for a 15. You never said what size.

sorry its for a 12"

so you think it could perform well in a 3.1 cube box, tuned to 32 Hz, and run on a saz 1500 on good electrical?

Yes. Set the subsonic to 26 ish and keep the power coming out of the amp clean. Remember clipping is worse for your sub then overpowering

Archived