DD-1 settings on CD vs MP3 on ipod question

I have a similar situation. Setting the gains with the CD means that when I use my 4g iPod nano through the full speed iPod cable connected to my Alpine 9887r the bass is noticeably quieter. If you reset the gains using the DD1 tones on the iPod the gains will go up before showing distortion, for this I downloaded the tones off the D'Amore and put them on my iPod.

Link to the test tones as found on the D'Amore site

https://files.secureserver.net/1sQHliMu6YbY7V

Of course you will only be setting the gains for use with the iPod, there is no guarantee that what you play through the CD player will be "clean" of any distortion.

Audi A4 Avant

Dual 210a Alts - Spl Dynamics D6 - 2 x Fi SP4 15

Boot Install

I have a feeling I will be doing a retune. Thanks for the file download.

• 2 months later...

Digging up an old thread.

Did you ever figure out your issue?

I ask because I recently stumbled on this exact issue.

I was noticing MUCH lower output when using my iPhone then with regular CD's.

I did all kinds of measurements through many different sources and got all kinds of varying output voltages from my HU.

Today I was doing more measurements and I remembered something Tony D said in another thread about iTunes and the "Sound Check" option.

My iTunes was set correctly with it off, but I never knew my phone also had that damn setting.

I found the setting on my phone and turned it off.

Low and behold my HU output voltage jumped from ~1V to the normal 4.8V!

Hope it helps, if not sorry for bumping an old thread, but I wanted to spread the word around 'cuz I'm sure more people have been stuck with this.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Digging up an old thread.

Did you ever figure out your issue?

I ask because I recently stumbled on this exact issue.

I was noticing MUCH lower output when using my iPhone then with regular CD's.

I did all kinds of measurements through many different sources and got all kinds of varying output voltages from my HU.

Today I was doing more measurements and I remembered something Tony D said in another thread about iTunes and the "Sound Check" option.

My iTunes was set correctly with it off, but I never knew my phone also had that damn setting.

I found the setting on my phone and turned it off.

Low and behold my HU output voltage jumped from ~1V to the normal 4.8V!

Hope it helps, if not sorry for bumping an old thread, but I wanted to spread the word around 'cuz I'm sure more people have been stuck with this.

Lots of head units let you set individual volume levels for each of the playback modes. At least mine does.

If yours has that, you can set it so everything distorts at the same volume. Or if you only play it through an auxiliary cable or thumb drive or something, just set it according to that.

I have no idea if my old 9861 will allow me to set playback modes. I will have to check. Chances are it's too old for that feature, but I will check.

I quit using the Itouch. Played with the EQ settings on a Ipod Nano Gen 3 I picked up. I liked the way the piano settings sounded. So using that setting I did a retune with the DD-1. With that tune the cd player still sounded good. So what I have found is that the Nano's are pretty much the same and the Itouch along with the Iphone need a separate tune. I used a friends Iphone to test also.

I will have to check my Itouch for the "Sound Check" option