put in an HO alternator and now my car wont run right

The increased output of a HO alternator can burn up inferior stock wiring that was not designed to carry the increased flow of electricity.

For your 700watt system that alt might be ok if you get it working properly. If you are trying to put any decent amp in that alt just wont cut it.

Ebay alternators tend to replace some guts in the alt that give you a high end boost at the cost of low end output.

Good thing it has a 30 day money back. Get your money and save up for a reputable alt.

Thats my advice.

Except the description on that alt says warranty items are exchanged minus a 20% restock fee and buyer pays return shipping. I agree, i wouldn't trust that alternator further than i could throw it. It might be a decent alt, it might do rated or close to it. But i wouldn't trust the build quality.

i start my car and my engine runs smooth for a second and then gradually starts shaking back and forth and starts making a knocking sound and gets worse and worse until it stalls.(no engine codes come up) i do not understand how the alternator change caused this!!!!!!

I had the exact same symptoms when I replaced my alternator in my 03 jetta. What happened to me was the alternator positive went through the fuse box on top of my battery and the fuse box connected with a small wire to the battery. My fuse box melted a bit and (mostly) killed connection to my accessory power, causing my car to rev up and down over and over until it got hot and it would stall. This also destroyed my battery which I had to replace. I had to order a whole new oem fuse box from ebay. Maybe one of your factory fuses burned up or something?

My Build Log - 2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLI VR6 2.8L

forum-signature-banner.png

well there is no way i could spend $500 on an alternator like i've seen from most places. are there any ones that are cheaper that are still decent?

and i am still not mechanically seeing how it is possible for an alternator good or bad to make my engine run this horrible. i dont think it is running on all cylinders and the engine literally shakes back and forth violently sometimes, but the idle doesnt really change. it is really low, but consistent.

maybe Tarball might be right and the higher output could have fried some wiring?

maybe i have a much bigger problem and i just got unlucky with the timing, but my car ran perfect before the alternator change. an odd situation i'd say...

well there is no way i could spend $500 on an alternator like i've seen from most places. are there any ones that are cheaper that are still decent?

and i am still not mechanically seeing how it is possible for an alternator good or bad to make my engine run this horrible. i dont think it is running on all cylinders and the engine literally shakes back and forth violently sometimes, but the idle doesnt really change. it is really low, but consistent.

maybe Tarball might be right and the higher output could have fried some wiring?

maybe i have a much bigger problem and i just got unlucky with the timing, but my car ran perfect before the alternator change. an odd situation i'd say...

you get what you pay for. spend a dollar per amp, or god forbid less than that, and you'll end up with a shitty alt. two dollars per amp is more reasonable for a good quality alt.

too much output doesn't fucking matter. the alt isnt outputting 200 amps or whatever all the time. its only outputting that when YOU tell it to. aka turning the stereo up, or producing a load, for example. compared to stock, the alt is outputting the same exact amount of power because the car is pulling only as much current as it needs to run.

edit: plus everything and its mother is fused inside your car. its damn near impossible for a wire(s) to burn up without the fuse popping. just because your alternator outputs more power over stock, doesn't mean that the hvac blower motor that uses 10 amps of current, all of a sudden uses 20 amps. thats just...retarded.

Voltage kills things, not amperage, why people do not understand I don't know. Not to be rude but it's the truth, as others have stated that is a cheap alternator. I got my DC Power Engineering 270 XP for $360 shipped used and it works just like a potent factory unit. I know why it was $500+ new.

I'm gonna hate

Money is Power

Power = Money

Money = Power

No money = No Power

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

your alt didnt hurt anything unless the regulator is shot and caused your car to see 16 plus volts continously. You could have belt slip. You could have a bad alternator. Your battery resting voltage is horrible. 12.2 is not good at all. And there is no such as good for my battery. its not good period. That alt is probably the problem because its junk.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

well bash on my cheap alternator as you may, but it's still better than a stock alternator is it not? i'm only going to be running one DC xl 15". i will upgrade and get a dc alt after i upgrade my car. as it is i'm already spending more on the sound system than what my car is worth!

also i solved the problem. it turned out to be a vacuum leak...apparently when i pulled my old alternator out i broke a vacuum line. i replaced that and we are good to go.

and just fyi, yes, the old power wire is hooked up now.

Thanks everyone!

although your stock alt may not put out as much amperage as your new alt says it does, the stock alt is still a better quality alt than that ebay alt, look into DC power, excessive amperage, powermaster, ohio gen, singer, tenney, mechman, see which company suits your budget better.

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

Archived