DC Sound Lab

DC5K Clamp Test (See New Thread. This one is not accurate)

Use an o-scope :P

Check your jumper leads, its not uncommon that they can have poor connections internally (not where the alligator end grabs but where the alligator end is crimped inside the plastic sheathing).

Edited by STEvil

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Interesting. How can we figure out what is going wrong? My DC voltage does go from ~14.3V to ~11.4V is this bad for clamp testing?

I am wondering if my AC Current Pmax on the clamp meter is messed up.

Edited by moh.vze.com

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

Use an o-scope :P

Check your jumper leads, its not uncommon that they can have poor connections internally (not where the alligator end grabs but where the alligator end is crimped inside the plastic sheathing).

I have a Velleman Oscope HSP10.

I'll hook that up on my next test tomorrow after I charge the batteries over night.

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

I will see if I can get my hands on a friends 5k tomorrow and hook it up to my truck and burp it a few times and video everything.

Thanks.

Ah power factors and phase angels. I remember solving homework problems like those in my electronic classes but never understood what those numbers ment until now.

Multiplying by that power factor number gives the rms?

Anyways, back to using the oscope, I don't think my Velleman can give me a current graph and the voltage graph like that lunchbox scope.

So should I just clamp it to the point of clipping even if I have to stop the volume knob 2 volume notches before my max tuned?

Edited by moh.vze.com

Just shot these real quick tonight while I was testing 2 of my Level 6 15s free air.

acA- 5.45a

acV- 38.1v

= 207.645w @ 6.99 ohms

This was done with the 5k turned up just under half volume.

This test was not done to show power output, but to show how to properly clamp an amplifier.

Edited by CJ18
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1