to fuse or not to fuse, that is the question

Also I know plenty of competitors that don't run fuses :) so.... What does that mean?

But I do have my main battery fused and my alts heavily fused. Just my sub amps no fuses.

Always wondered this... Do you even need to fuse the power wire going to your amp if there's no risk of it rubbing through the insulation anywhere?

The fuse won't stop it from blowing if there's an issue, so what's the point?

u guys better be careful, theres some angry members out there who will flame u for asking these kinds of questions

im just shocked 2 read the black nasty is not properly fused

if ive read right, shorts can happen randomly even when the car is off, starting a fire

so if im running 4 amps and the battery bank is right next 2 them....

fusing is a waste of cash? because the amps have built in fuses and theyre less than 18inches away?

it would make my day if snafu would chime in here

not about using fuses or not but these other questions

questions like:

what exactly happens in a battery that causes the voltage spike 2 fry these fuseless wires? (does the negative side fail or something?)

why dont people fuse their big 3 upgrades? (like the alt to batt +)

if my fuse blows, wouldnt the 18" of wire catch fire? (if this happens in the trunk or under the hood im fucked)

can clipping an amp cause an internal failure that pulls extreme power from the batt?

if these questions or my posts make u angry its simple, dont post here (u dont have 2)

• what exactly happens in a battery that causes the voltage spike 2 fry these fuseless wires? (does the negative side fail or something?) Car batteries are basically a few 2 volts cells linked internally in series. You dont get voltage spikes from a battery because there is no source for the additional voltage. What fries wires is when there is a short to ground somewhere in the wire or component it is connected to OR if the wire is connected to a component that has more current draw than the wire can support.
  • why dont people fuse their big 3 upgrades? (like the alt to batt +) I do, but i have kind of a non-standard setup with my main batteries in the rear.
  • if my fuse blows, wouldnt the 18" of wire catch fire? (if this happens in the trunk or under the hood im fucked) No it would not. Your entire wire will experience the increase load when there is a short (up to the point of the short), the entire length of wire will begin to heat up, eventually leading to the insulation melting, if there is a fuse close to the source (+) the fuse will heat up and pop before the amperage rating of your wire is reached (assuming you are using appropriate fuse size for your wire size/quality). Once the fuse pops, the short circuit is elimated and there is no further draw on your battery/alt thereby avoiding fire and saving your wire.
  • can clipping an amp cause an internal failure that pulls extreme power from the batt? Yes, clipping draws additional amperage and produces increased heat.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

The snafu "spotlight" . . . lol.

Fuse only what you want to protect. Running cables the length of your vehicle without fusing is just asking for trouble. Even an unfused 18 AWG power wire could burn your vehicle to the ground if it became shorted and you didn't catch it quickly enough. No, a volt meter will not indicate a short circuit. And yes, there are many grades of fuses and fuse holders on the market - a big chunk of them garbage. That's kind of why I stick to the Rockford and JL Audio fuse holders, because they work. Have you looked at my selection?

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

Stinger and hooker are also as good of quality as JL and Rockford for less in most cases depending on design of the fuse holder.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

• 4 months later...

Hey bro, I'm from south africa....... And well over here a fuse is like a weak connection in the line, your amp. Has fuses, your headunit has fuses and best of all, if your wire is thick like a 4 guage, 2 guage cable, it won't melt easily, and believe me, your dash will light up in lights from your car coz it has all of this warning features etc... So yeah, fuses really keep blocking the true power I believe an if all of your connections are well isolated, you won't have a problem!! Rats climbed into my big bass bantam and chowd so much wires, but my fuse didn't blow, nothing melted, it shorted against earth etc..... So bro......... *dont fuse and enjoy more bass! PS: if you really buy quality amps and goods, you won't have a problem coz they have there own safety stuff so you are waxed !! Enjoy!!!

Hey bro, I'm from south africa....... And well over here a fuse is like a weak connection in the line, your amp. Has fuses, your headunit has fuses and best of all, if your wire is thick like a 4 guage, 2 guage cable, it won't melt easily, and believe me, your dash will light up in lights from your car coz it has all of this warning features etc... So yeah, fuses really keep blocking the true power I believe an if all of your connections are well isolated, you won't have a problem!! Rats climbed into my big bass bantam and chowd so much wires, but my fuse didn't blow, nothing melted, it shorted against earth etc..... So bro......... *dont fuse and enjoy more bass! PS: if you really buy quality amps and goods, you won't have a problem coz they have there own safety stuff so you are waxed !! Enjoy!!!

So what you are saying is that in south africa, the fuses are made of wood?

Seems legit.

edit:

also, this thread is kind of old.

"Resistance is futile"

The fluctuation of the current traveling thru multiple mediums/fuse block's will put a damper on the current draw. If your only doing DAILY then use fuses, and be safe. If your going for SPL I would stay clear from fuses. I have not used fuses from the battery bank to the amp for years. You just have to be smart about it. All about the quality of the products.

dsc00534f.jpg

Archived