Captain Stupid Posted January 14, 2013 Report Posted January 14, 2013 Been wanting to do this for a while now. Just needed to find an excuse. So a guy paid me to build a set for his race car, so there's my excuse. Now I can make them for my race car too. I can make more also if anyone is interested. Just $500 each. I'm about to pull the first seat out of the mold tomorrow. Pics of the inside coming soon. Of course, the seat still needs to be trimmed once it is removed from the mold, but you get the idea. 2006 Cadillac Escalade 2/3 drop on 28" wheels Two RE SX 18" subs RF T2500-1bdCP amp, 3531watts on birthsheet Custom carbon fiber sub box EVERYTHING else is stock, for now 149.4 @ 37hz, Termlab, dash, open window on two AQ3 18s all stock electrical, wired to .25 ohm on a RF T2500 148.8 @ 36hz, Termlab, dash, open window on one AQ3 18 all stock electrical, wired to .5 ohm on a RF T2500 147.8 @ 38hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on two RE SX 18s 146.4 @ 36hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on one RE SX 18 Link to my hack-built, stupid, carbon fiber wasting project.... http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/149946-carbon-fiber-box-update-1494db-37hz-on-tl/ http://gifsoup.com/NDM3MTc1MQ
Captain Stupid Posted January 14, 2013 Author Report Posted January 14, 2013 Here are some pics of the mold work.... 2006 Cadillac Escalade 2/3 drop on 28" wheels Two RE SX 18" subs RF T2500-1bdCP amp, 3531watts on birthsheet Custom carbon fiber sub box EVERYTHING else is stock, for now 149.4 @ 37hz, Termlab, dash, open window on two AQ3 18s all stock electrical, wired to .25 ohm on a RF T2500 148.8 @ 36hz, Termlab, dash, open window on one AQ3 18 all stock electrical, wired to .5 ohm on a RF T2500 147.8 @ 38hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on two RE SX 18s 146.4 @ 36hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on one RE SX 18 Link to my hack-built, stupid, carbon fiber wasting project.... http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/149946-carbon-fiber-box-update-1494db-37hz-on-tl/ http://gifsoup.com/NDM3MTc1MQ
Captain Stupid Posted January 14, 2013 Author Report Posted January 14, 2013 Here is a pic I pulled off photobucket of what the aluminum version of this seat looks like. My seat is made with this seat style in mind and will fit the seat cover that this seat is designed for.... 2006 Cadillac Escalade 2/3 drop on 28" wheels Two RE SX 18" subs RF T2500-1bdCP amp, 3531watts on birthsheet Custom carbon fiber sub box EVERYTHING else is stock, for now 149.4 @ 37hz, Termlab, dash, open window on two AQ3 18s all stock electrical, wired to .25 ohm on a RF T2500 148.8 @ 36hz, Termlab, dash, open window on one AQ3 18 all stock electrical, wired to .5 ohm on a RF T2500 147.8 @ 38hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on two RE SX 18s 146.4 @ 36hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on one RE SX 18 Link to my hack-built, stupid, carbon fiber wasting project.... http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/149946-carbon-fiber-box-update-1494db-37hz-on-tl/ http://gifsoup.com/NDM3MTc1MQ
SnowDrifter Posted January 14, 2013 Report Posted January 14, 2013 COOL ~~~~~~~~SAY NO TO PHOTOBUCKET~~~~~~~~ Snow's DD-1 tracks here: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167433-snows-dd-1-tracks/ My take on OFC vs CCA: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/110381-things-that-piss-you-off-in-the-car-audio-world/?do=findComment&comment=2461444
C-Fizzy Posted January 14, 2013 Report Posted January 14, 2013 Weird I was in Tap plastics the other day and overheard someone talking about building one of these. Interested to see it done. under construction I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me. u hate c-fizzy?
younggun69 Posted January 14, 2013 Report Posted January 14, 2013 Out of curiosity, what do you do with the overlapping carbon where the back meets the bottom? Dale - 'When life hands you lemons--make lemonade, THEN find someone whose life has handed them vodka and have one heck of a party....lol'
revoracing247 Posted January 14, 2013 Report Posted January 14, 2013 Captain stupid i love your carbon fiber projects ~ If it was easy, everybody would be doing it ~
Captain Stupid Posted January 14, 2013 Author Report Posted January 14, 2013 Out of curiosity, what do you do with the overlapping carbon where the back meets the bottom? Each layer is a single piece of carbon fabric laid over the shape of the mold. The only place where there is an issue is on the side where the fabric coming from the bottom and back overlaps. I assume this part is what you are asking about? You can do one of two things in the overlapping area. You can fold the fabric over itself and try to get it to lay neatly, or you can trim it and try to get the cut edges to line up as nicely as possible. On this seat, I folded the fabric over itself, but to be honest, I'm not 100% happy with how it turned out. You can see those folds in the second pic down in the original post. I don't like that, but we'll see how it looks when it is dry and is removed from the mold today. I think I'm going to do the next seat with the trimming method and see how that goes. 2006 Cadillac Escalade 2/3 drop on 28" wheels Two RE SX 18" subs RF T2500-1bdCP amp, 3531watts on birthsheet Custom carbon fiber sub box EVERYTHING else is stock, for now 149.4 @ 37hz, Termlab, dash, open window on two AQ3 18s all stock electrical, wired to .25 ohm on a RF T2500 148.8 @ 36hz, Termlab, dash, open window on one AQ3 18 all stock electrical, wired to .5 ohm on a RF T2500 147.8 @ 38hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on two RE SX 18s 146.4 @ 36hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on one RE SX 18 Link to my hack-built, stupid, carbon fiber wasting project.... http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/149946-carbon-fiber-box-update-1494db-37hz-on-tl/ http://gifsoup.com/NDM3MTc1MQ
younggun69 Posted January 15, 2013 Report Posted January 15, 2013 Out of curiosity, what do you do with the overlapping carbon where the back meets the bottom? Each layer is a single piece of carbon fabric laid over the shape of the mold. The only place where there is an issue is on the side where the fabric coming from the bottom and back overlaps. I assume this part is what you are asking about? You can do one of two things in the overlapping area. You can fold the fabric over itself and try to get it to lay neatly, or you can trim it and try to get the cut edges to line up as nicely as possible. On this seat, I folded the fabric over itself, but to be honest, I'm not 100% happy with how it turned out. You can see those folds in the second pic down in the original post. I don't like that, but we'll see how it looks when it is dry and is removed from the mold today. I think I'm going to do the next seat with the trimming method and see how that goes. Yeah thats what I was talking about. It'd be tricky either way. Could you cut a piece to go over the joint you trim inside and out? Kinda like a fish plate on a frame. Dale - 'When life hands you lemons--make lemonade, THEN find someone whose life has handed them vodka and have one heck of a party....lol'
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.