Second Skin Audio

2 American Bass XD 10's box help

bsneon98

Hey guys I'm starting to think that I'm tired of this prefab box I got when I bought my subs. I've built smaller boxes before but none that actually involved any tuning or any real calculating. The space I have to work with is roughly

14 inches high

18+ inches deep (can go up to 24)

30 inches wide

Its for 2 American Bass XD 10's (see build log for current setup)

The box will first be tested firing the trunk lid, then flipped around to see if that sounds better. I really want those lows :spiteful:

Any help is appreciated as this is my first real box build.

Thanks in advance!

Tores Box Calculator!!!! it's Perfect and you can play with the dimensions to get the perfect freq your lookin for :D

I've been playing with it a little bit now, and with those measurements I can get a tuning frequency of 24hz... lulz. Does that seem accurate?

24hzbox_zps4084a4c5.png

Something is wrong, port area per foot is too small. IDK if that calc is the same as the old one but if you plug anything into the round port it cancels out the other one. A single 3" port isn't enough for 2 10's. Here's something I came up with, note I'm not a pro at this just trying to help out.

fejj2t.jpg

'02 SVT Lightning

Pioneer 3200dvd

C&D 80ah under hood, 2 shuriken bt20's in cab

PPI BlackIce 800.4, Rockford T1 6.5comps, kicker KS 5.25comps(Running both active)

AQ 2200d, 2 Skar VVX-10s, 2.5@34hz, Epicenter

Something is wrong, port area per foot is too small. IDK if that calc is the same as the old one but if you plug anything into the round port it cancels out the other one. A single 3" port isn't enough for 2 10's. Here's something I came up with, note I'm not a pro at this just trying to help out.

fejj2t.jpg

Thanks man, I see what I did there with the ports... stupid mistake lol.

I don't think that there's any differences but a few questions.

How is the port length 37 when the box is only 20 deep, and how did you calculate the woofer displacement?

Here is another suggestion:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 32 Hz

Vb = 2.4 ft^3

External Height = 14 in

External Width = 28.5 in

External Depth = 18 in

Port Width = 2 3/8 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2x Front = 13 1/16 x 12 1/2

Back = 28 1/2 x 12 1/2

Left & Right Sides: 16 1/2 x 12 1/2

Top & Bottom = 28 1/2 x 18

Shared Port Internal Assembly Parts:

2 x Front to Back = 15 5/16 x 12 1/2

2 x Extension = 8 3/16 x 12 1/2

Assembly guide (generic dimensions):

tportsingle.jpg

How is the port length 37 when the box is only 20 deep, and how did you calculate the woofer displacement?

You would have to make an L shape port, and you measure down the middle like this. 17.75"+19.25"=37" For woofer displacement I guesstimated, like mentioned earlier is usually around .1-.15 per 10"

sf9ldx.jpg

'02 SVT Lightning

Pioneer 3200dvd

C&D 80ah under hood, 2 shuriken bt20's in cab

PPI BlackIce 800.4, Rockford T1 6.5comps, kicker KS 5.25comps(Running both active)

AQ 2200d, 2 Skar VVX-10s, 2.5@34hz, Epicenter

wow guys thanks for all the responses!

Here is another suggestion:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 32 Hz

Vb = 2.4 ft^3

External Height = 14 in

External Width = 28.5 in

External Depth = 18 in

Port Width = 2 3/8 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2x Front = 13 1/16 x 12 1/2

Back = 28 1/2 x 12 1/2

Left & Right Sides: 16 1/2 x 12 1/2

Top & Bottom = 28 1/2 x 18

Shared Port Internal Assembly Parts:

2 x Front to Back = 15 5/16 x 12 1/2

2 x Extension = 8 3/16 x 12 1/2

Assembly guide (generic dimensions):

tportsingle.jpg

This design is gorgeous!

Last time I had my subs out of my current box, I noticed that each woofer has its own chamber. Any reasons behind that and if so what are the differences?

You would have to make an L shape port, and you measure down the middle like this. 17.75"+19.25"=37" For woofer displacement I guesstimated, like mentioned earlier is usually around .1-.15 per 10"

sf9ldx.jpg

Ok, thank you! Makes perfect sense now

Last time I had my subs out of my current box, I noticed that each woofer has its own chamber. Any reasons behind that and if so what are the differences?

There are a few reasons to use this design: a) it is self bracing b ) since is symmetrical both subs loading is the same c) in the case an L port is obstructed by lateral car bracing the port in the middle can help. Just another option for you to keep in mind.

Archived