do i need a HO ALT for a second battery?

hey guys, so im thinking about adding a second battery for extra power at my sub, i have a civic, with a stock alt thats 80A(i think) and an optima yellowtop d51r(38ah)

so my question is if i add a second battery in the trunk, specifically a kinetik hc600, would it add draw to my alternator and require a HO Alt? im only running a 500.1 and a 200.4 for amps, but i get headlight dimming and some Vdrop.

i was hopping i could just add the battery in the trunk by the amps and not need to upgrade the alt.

Also if someone has a suggestion for a similar battery that is better for some reason please let me know. im looking to stay with something small, this battery is only like 10-15 lbs.

Thanks guys :)

-Greg

a second battery would help have more capacity for you system but if you run them down from bumping hard it will take a little longer to charge them up then it would with just one battery. get the battery and see how it runs. if it seems like its not charging fast enough for you then look into a higher output alt. with your set up i dont think you will need a huge alt. i know a guy who has a mechman for his mazda 3 and it made a difference even with one battery.

If you're running an AB 500.1 I would recommend a high output alternator because anything over 2000w RMS becomes quite the strain on a factory charging system. That being said your current alternator can charge 100 batteries, it will just take a while.

I'm gonna hate

Is it a 4 x 200 watt amp or a 4 x 50 watt amp. Your alt is tiny, if it´s the little math your system can draw 70 amp´s but in reality on music between 30-40 so you have only

40 amp´s for the rest of your car. Would be nice for you to have a bigger alt 120-150 amp´s.

Last at not least link to a nice batt offer http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/144556-dont-seem-like-a-bad-deal/

"in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley

yeah the Si comes witha 120A alt, mines the LX tho >.<

sorry i thought the notation for the amps was total watts rms. number of channels, so to clarify, i have 50w x4 channels, and a 500 x1 channel. so 200+500 for 700 total.

ill try it with just the battery and see how that goes.

also i have a question about the 4ch amp, im only using 2 channels right now for the front speakers, and have no rears. i have the rcas unplugged from the rear channels and the gain down the whole way. so do i count that as drawing power or not cuz it shouldnt be using any power really like that.

If you're running an AB 500.1 I would recommend a high output alternator because anything over 2000w RMS becomes quite the strain on a factory charging system. That being said your current alternator can charge 100 batteries, it will just take a while.

LOL it's not a ab 500.1.

The stock alt would get straight raped if it was....

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

Most of the time when people think they need a 2nd battery, they really need a bigger alt.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

Archived