lights dimming at idle after HO alt

zydrix

That's crazy I couldn't believe that a fully functional alternator couldn't do enough just to run the factory electronics. I had an eBay alternator and get 14.8-15.2 Volts at idle. It must be a wiring issue or a faulty alternator. At first with my alt I was only getting 12-13v but I ran zero gauge from the alternator positive to the battery then zero gauge from a negative post on the alternator to the engine ground then to the battery. I can bump full tilt at idle and it drops to maybe 12 at worst, and only have 1 battery at the moment.

(Old Car) 1995 Volkswagon Golf MK3 2.0L:

Fi SP4 18 On A DC Audio 3.5K In A PWK Box

Hertz DSK 6" Speakers, Clarion HU

3x Fullriver 120aH AGM's, 225A Alt

2012 Subaru BRZ:

Audison Prima APK 163

Bit One, Rockford Amps, Audison Sub

when i rev to about 800rpm the lights and everything else is fine. voltage goes from like 12.4 to 14v or so

yeah thats an alt turn-on problem. smaller pulleys fix that.

so get a smaller pulley an it should take care of my problem? an give better output from my alt from idle an over all?

correct. smaller pulley lets the alt spin at a faster rate.

thanks kranny, i appreciate it. thanks to everyone else too

My build

98 s10 2.2

3 american bass HD 15s with psi soft parts. (on there way here)

atomic at-3000.1 (soon) 146.2 outlaw @39hz., bad alt an bad batt when termed (old 2 12" build)

alpine 6.5s in doors

infinty 4x6s in dash.

clarion cz201 HU.

mechman 240a H/O alt

stuff i still need.

SHCA 2/0 wire

SHCA 1/0 to 2/0 adapters

Atomic AT-3000.1

Lots of sound deadner

new mids an highs, still debating on what to do.

A few Deka g31 batts.

Or you can just bump up your idle to 800rpm. cheaper faster and alot easier depending on the car . I didnt see what year your car was but older cars u can just adjust idle set screw newer cars with drive by wire throttle control u need to use a computer to set idle. imn that cae unless you already have a programmer its cheaper to get a smaller pulley

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Dude your also running around 5000 watts. You would need some serious power at idle to stop that. Why not just find a way to install the stock alt along with the high output one?

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

Dude your also running around 5000 watts. You would need some serious power at idle to stop that. Why not just find a way to install the stock alt along with the high output one?

It's doing it without his system going. Only accessories is it dimming.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

right now only have a DDm2a for roughly 2000-2500 watts. but its doing it without it on

My build

98 s10 2.2

atomic at-3000.1 (soon) 146.2 outlaw @39hz., bad alt an bad batt when termed (old 2 12" build)

alpine 6.5s in doors

infinty 4x6s in dash.

clarion cz201 HU.

mechman 240a H/O alt

stuff i still need.

SHCA 2/0 wire

SHCA 1/0 to 2/0 adapters

Atomic AT-3000.1

Lots of sound deadner

A few Deka g31 batts.

Most stock alts are designed to do more at idle like kranny said.

Don't bump at idle :D

Or get a DC power with their XP series. Usually does over a 100 amps at idle

The XP series alts all do around 200a at idle! Mine is rated for 190a idle and it's only a 270.

I'm gonna hate

The XP series alts all do around 200a at idle! Mine is rated for 190a idle and it's only a 270.

mine is suppose to do around 100-110a at idle. but im assuming like kranny said, i need a smaller pulley, an then i should be able to see that

My build

98 s10 2.2

alpine 6.5s in doors

infinty 4x6s in dash.

clarion cz201 HU.

mechman 240a H/O alt

stuff i still need.

SHCA 2/0 wire

SHCA 1/0 to 2/0 adapters

Atomic AT-3000.1

Lots of sound deadner

A few Deka g31 batts.

when i rev to about 800rpm the lights and everything else is fine. voltage goes from like 12.4 to 14v or so

yeah thats an alt turn-on problem. smaller pulleys fix that.

so get a smaller pulley an it should take care of my problem? an give better output from my alt from idle an over all?

correct. smaller pulley lets the alt spin at a faster rate.

thanks kranny, i appreciate it. thanks to everyone else too

This is true but you have to watch for something else as well. OVER SPINNING THE ALT!!!

If you are one that tends to like to stick your foot in it and let the vehicle shift on its own with your foot on the floor, you may very well over rap the alt which can cause internal parts failure.

Low output at idle speeds is a very common issue, you just happen to be one that got bit by it too. A good alt salesman will ask you your crank pulley diameter and idle rpm b4 they will sell you an alt so that this problem can hopefully be avoided. It also comes down to what regulators are used in the particular unit you are dealing with. I personally prefer to stay with a Denso regulator.

Oh yeah, yet another reason why i went with the company thats in my sig...

Daily Driver 1999 Kia Sephia

Kenwood DNX-893s
Audison Bit One Processor
2 Dat 4.125's
Sundown Audio SCV-6k
Hertz hsk-165xl's Mids running active                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Focal V30 Series Tweeters running active 
Sundown Sa-8 v1's in the doors
2 Sundown Zv5 12's 
Lots of Hushmat
Big 3+ and 3 + & 3- runs of Trystar 2/0
2 Dc Power Engineering 320 HP Alts

2017 Comp Vehicle
2006 Toyota 4 Runner
Kenwood Excelon DNX-893s                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Audison Bit One HD DSP
4 Sundown Sa 6.5v2 Component Sets 
Focal Access 6.5 2 ways
Sundown Audio Sax-50.4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Sundown Audio Sax-100.4
2 Dc Power 370xp
Northstar agm27f
Northstar agm65
2 Northstar asmagm 480's
2 Dual 1 Sundown Nightshade v3 12's
2 Sundown SCV-7500's
All SMD Fuse Holders
Shitload Of Sundown 1/0

120 sq ft Second Skin Damp Pro

No, Its Not A Burp Truck!!!!

2016 Season 3rd place in Xtreme 1 At Finals

2016 Season 6th Place In Kaos 1 At Finals ( Blew The Subs Up In First Round Eliminations)

2 Kansas State Records Set In 2016 In Xtreme 1 And Kaos 1 In Midwest SPL

2-1.jpgsa.jpg
DCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

David said:

audio is a lifestyle, not a hobby

newls1
I cant read a tape to save my life... 1/2's are ok, but other marks confuse me
kingsuv
only men who cant read a tape, take it in the ass
kingsuv
you sir, get a pink hard hat on jobsites

I had a singer that didn't even turn on at idle with the smallest pulley. I sold it and I was told by singer himself that DC power has better casing and the hairpin design provides much better output at idle with a normal OEM pulley. So that's the route I went this time. Waiting on it to come in.

2007 M/T Honda Civic Coupe EX

(4) Sundown Audio X-8's

(2) Ampere Audio 3800.1's

(3) Stinger SPV-44 Batteries

(1) Mechman 240

3:1 Ratio 4th order sealed from the trunk

TEAM NWSPL

Best termlab scores to date in Honda trunk:
151.7db legal (official) IASCA trunk 3 class

Best termlab scores to date in my walled Subie:
152.9db legal (unofficial) IASCA advanced 2 class
155db outlaw