I don't actually know where to post this but I assume that it falls under a sport. I'm moving to Columbia Tennessee at the end of March and I thought to myself that its time to change my appearance get physically fit and to pursue a life long dream that I had since I was young. That dream was to take a martial art that actually interested me. Back when I was younger I took Karate and TaeKwonDo but I never got far in it. My brother however was considered a prodigy at anything martial arts, whether it be TKD, Karate, BJJ, Boxing. In TKD he was a "Rec" until he got bored of it and the same thing happened in Karate he was a "Rec" in BJJ within six months he his gym and trainer asked him to go pro and the same thing in boxing his trainer asked him to go pro during his time he was training for MMA. But he got bored of all things martial arts and now pursues a life in being a chef. I have an great interest in martial arts but I just don't know what to choose. My brother says BJJ, But It does not interest me, same thing with boxing, TKD, and Karate. I am more interested in Judo, Hapkido, MMA, Basically anything that's not generally practiced. But I want to learn 2 martial arts to be well versed. I do not want to compete nor do I want to get myself into random fights. I strictly just want it for self defense and that's all. I'm tired of being unable to protect my family and I am especially tired of being threatened by people who look at me because I am of a different race and because of my small short stature. I want to become better than my brother while being able to spar him and being able to protect my family and my friends. If anyone knows any good martial art places or mma places in 38401 aka Columbia TN that would be perfect. I am willing to dedicate a whole chunk of my life to this.

Another question sits: Should I go work out before I join a martial art place? Or should I just go and let it run its course and see how far I get. I'm thinking that I should be well conditioned before I attempt any martial art but I want to get opinions.

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

I work out and continue to study wing chun and wing tsun twice a week for 7 years. If you're losing weight I also suggest yoga

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Is Wing Chun and Wing Tsun kung fu? I would but I don't think there's any places that teach that martial art in my area.

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

No, I was saying I workout 6 days a week AND train martial arts. What's your goal? I find the martial arts I study just resound on an inner level with me. You should probably study the philosophy behind each one to find one you will love.

Check out grappling and kenpo

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Most americanized martial arts are just for sport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dait%C5%8D-ry%C5%AB_Aiki-j%C5%ABjutsu

I took this for several years. I was trained by a few different teachers. You can NOT use this as "play" fighting. There are little to no moves that will not seriously injure someone. It is designed to kill people.

Its very hard to spar with someone unless they know Diato Ryu, as most moves are kill shots or breaks. There is only 5 belts. Black is basicly re-learning all of the techniques with a katana.

White Green Blue Brown Black

Akido, Jujitsu and several other forms where created from the techniques developed by Diato Ryu.

If you're looking to get into MMA, from what I've seen you cannot use most of the techniques in this art, fights with Diato Ryu are designed to last under a minute, and thats just not good TV.

i would prob just find a good mma school with cool people. the people there will make or break the experience for you. i would just try a few most places give u a trail time.

Banner_468x60.jpg

REP

No, I was saying I workout 6 days a week AND train martial arts. What's your goal? I find the martial arts I study just resound on an inner level with me. You should probably study the philosophy behind each one to find one you will love.

Check out grappling and kenpo

My goal is probably purely self defense, but If I have to I will train to make a higher belt in competition, I'm not all about displaying how good I am I am all about avoiding fights if possible but if necessary if I can't run away or something like that, I would like the techniques to ultimately submit or subdue the aggressor. I'm looking at a school down where I live called Moodys martial arts it has MMA and Judo, I'm looking very intensely at Judo.

Most americanized martial arts are just for sport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dait%C5%8D-ry%C5%AB_Aiki-j%C5%ABjutsu

I took this for several years. I was trained by a few different teachers. You can NOT use this as "play" fighting. There are little to no moves that will not seriously injure someone. It is designed to kill people.

Its very hard to spar with someone unless they know Diato Ryu, as most moves are kill shots or breaks. There is only 5 belts. Black is basicly re-learning all of the techniques with a katana.

White Green Blue Brown Black

Akido, Jujitsu and several other forms where created from the techniques developed by Diato Ryu.

If you're looking to get into MMA, from what I've seen you cannot use most of the techniques in this art, fights with Diato Ryu are designed to last under a minute, and thats just not good TV.

Unfortunately I know that most americanized martial arts are just for sport. I'm trying to look for a martial art down in TN that has not been americanazied and has actual use. I looked up the martial art you mentioned and I don't think that it would suit me. It reminds me of Krav Magra which is used to ultimately destroy your opponent. I'm not looking to destroy my aggressor but to just submit them or subdue them until they either back down or the cops show up.

i would prob just find a good mma school with cool people. the people there will make or break the experience for you. i would just try a few most places give u a trail time.

There's only one MMA gym in my area that I'm moving to and its very limited in what it offers in styles to teach. Which is TKD, Judo, BJJ, MMA, I'm looking for other martial arts that would be good for self defense, and can be good for sparing.

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

My suggestion would be Muay Thai Kickboxing, Okinawan Kempo or Jiu-Jitsu

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

I would try Muay Thai but I don't know if its offered in my area in TN, Its very limited unfortunately same thing goes for Okinawan Kempo. As for Jiujitsu there's BJJ, And I think that's all. The area I'm moving to is 38401 which is Columbia Tennessee it looks to apparently focus on TKD, Karate, and BJJ. But mostly TKD and Karate.

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

Judo is a great martial art to train. Judo will also include some ground and submission techniques as well. The competitive sport of judo's rules are changing to allow more BJJ to be utilized as well, So you'll most likely get a good base of throws and takedown's paired with at least a decent ground game. Which would be very useful should you have to subdue someone in the event of a fight.

It's also great for getting in shape as you'll use muscles in ways you typically wouldn't. As long as the school works conditioning with the techniques as well it's great cardio and conditioning. If the school is traditional, it'll give you some level of meditation as well as respect for the sport and others training it.

It would also give you a good solid base should you decide to transition into another martial art or MMA.

pgsig.png

Archived