engine knocking like crazy. do i have a claim?

ill post up when something new happens. but thanks for the replies. kinda helps having a forum of people to bounce things off of when the unexpected happens.

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

Fix your rad, excessive temperature swings are what cause a head to warp which is what sounds like happened to yours if he's replacing your entire head.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Well, people will say a blown head gasket will put water in your oil. I call b.s. on that. If you know how heads are designed that just doesnt happen. Cracked blocks cause water in oil, end of story. Now, sometimes people blow head gaskets and crack blocks at the same time and that is where that myth come from.

If your car was getting hot you should have pulled over and let it cool down then added water, or drove for very short distances then stopped before it got hot until you could get water.

Long story short, it sounds like a blown gasket to me and a cracked block if your oil is milky colored. Simple way to check for water in oil is simply pull the drain plug, the water will be separate on the bottom of the pan and it will come out first.

Best of luck o.p.

edit:

just noticed there are two pages to this thread and you got it figured out. lol

my 3800 in my impala oil in its coolant but no coolant in its oil imagine wtf i was wondering lol found out it was the lower intake manifold gaskets had a slight melt/warp replaced it quit losing oil and my coolant quit clogging my heater core pretty easy to fix gotta pull off alt then intake plenum all the wires have a certain shape and will only fit into the correct ones

the lower intake has coolant, oil, and air passages so there is a possibilty that part of the gasket melted and caused a slightly to moderate leak of antifreeze into cylinder 2

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

Well long story short. The other shop saying its 90% of the time the intake.. my brother said the same thing. They said upper intake ,completely blew. Lower gasket leaks. They also want to change the plastic pipe that feeds the water pump. All parts labor oil and coolant change including tax comes to $723.40.

Now I hate to put 800 after tow into a car with 158k but I figure its better that than buy a cheapie car with no idea of its history or any issues..

The 3800 is very solid motor so after this as long as I change the oil and don't beat on it hopefully it'll gimme a while longer on the road.

Thanks for the help though everyone.

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

get a compression tester, solve the mystery in about 30 minutes.

a leakdown test would be a better thing to use, that way he can pin point exactly where the leak is.

OP good to see you got it figured out, if i would have seen this earlier i could have helped out.

white smoke= coolant/water

blue= oil

black=gas

white gunky oil= oil mixed with coolant

2008 TahoeHU-PioneerMids/Highs amp- sundown 200.4Mids/Highs- hertz xls, hertz ml 700, audison voce tweetsAmp-2 AQ 3500sSubs-FI SP418sAlt-singer 350Big 3 1/0

a1c59399-4196-4eaa-b853-46c1480ed3ab.jpg

Build Log

UBL My YouTube channel

Well long story short. The other shop saying its 90% of the time the intake.. my brother said the same thing. They said upper intake ,completely blew. Lower gasket leaks. They also want to change the plastic pipe that feeds the water pump. All parts labor oil and coolant change including tax comes to $723.40.

Now I hate to put 800 after tow into a car with 158k but I figure its better that than buy a cheapie car with no idea of its history or any issues..

The 3800 is very solid motor so after this as long as I change the oil and don't beat on it hopefully it'll gimme a while longer on the road.

i see around 230 in parts/oil/coolant that is intake plenum and lower intake gaskets the real collant elbows are around 22 for both

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

if its the upper intake gasket, you might as well change the lower one too. you have to remove the whole plenum regardless of which one it is, iirc.

It isnt so much the gasket as it is the egr stand pipe area that erodes away over time due to acidic coolant and heat. The plastic cant take the pressure of the cooling system anymore and pops a hole in the intake which in turn ends up filling the lower intake valley with coolant and into the runners it goes into the engine where its sucked into the engine and burned therefore creating the white smoke.

Daily Driver 1999 Kia Sephia

Kenwood DNX-893s
Audison Bit One Processor
2 Dat 4.125's
Sundown Audio SCV-6k
Hertz hsk-165xl's Mids running active                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Focal V30 Series Tweeters running active 
Sundown Sa-8 v1's in the doors
2 Sundown Zv5 12's 
Lots of Hushmat
Big 3+ and 3 + & 3- runs of Trystar 2/0
2 Dc Power Engineering 320 HP Alts

2017 Comp Vehicle
2006 Toyota 4 Runner
Kenwood Excelon DNX-893s                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Audison Bit One HD DSP
4 Sundown Sa 6.5v2 Component Sets 
Focal Access 6.5 2 ways
Sundown Audio Sax-50.4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Sundown Audio Sax-100.4
2 Dc Power 370xp
Northstar agm27f
Northstar agm65
2 Northstar asmagm 480's
2 Dual 1 Sundown Nightshade v3 12's
2 Sundown SCV-7500's
All SMD Fuse Holders
Shitload Of Sundown 1/0

120 sq ft Second Skin Damp Pro

No, Its Not A Burp Truck!!!!

2016 Season 3rd place in Xtreme 1 At Finals

2016 Season 6th Place In Kaos 1 At Finals ( Blew The Subs Up In First Round Eliminations)

2 Kansas State Records Set In 2016 In Xtreme 1 And Kaos 1 In Midwest SPL

2-1.jpgsa.jpg
DCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

David said:

audio is a lifestyle, not a hobby

newls1
I cant read a tape to save my life... 1/2's are ok, but other marks confuse me
kingsuv
only men who cant read a tape, take it in the ass
kingsuv
you sir, get a pink hard hat on jobsites

Did the shop even bother to run a combustion gas test either with the blue fluid and tester or a 4 gas analyzer?

Daily Driver 1999 Kia Sephia

Kenwood DNX-893s
Audison Bit One Processor
2 Dat 4.125's
Sundown Audio SCV-6k
Hertz hsk-165xl's Mids running active                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Focal V30 Series Tweeters running active 
Sundown Sa-8 v1's in the doors
2 Sundown Zv5 12's 
Lots of Hushmat
Big 3+ and 3 + & 3- runs of Trystar 2/0
2 Dc Power Engineering 320 HP Alts

2017 Comp Vehicle
2006 Toyota 4 Runner
Kenwood Excelon DNX-893s                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Audison Bit One HD DSP
4 Sundown Sa 6.5v2 Component Sets 
Focal Access 6.5 2 ways
Sundown Audio Sax-50.4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Sundown Audio Sax-100.4
2 Dc Power 370xp
Northstar agm27f
Northstar agm65
2 Northstar asmagm 480's
2 Dual 1 Sundown Nightshade v3 12's
2 Sundown SCV-7500's
All SMD Fuse Holders
Shitload Of Sundown 1/0

120 sq ft Second Skin Damp Pro

No, Its Not A Burp Truck!!!!

2016 Season 3rd place in Xtreme 1 At Finals

2016 Season 6th Place In Kaos 1 At Finals ( Blew The Subs Up In First Round Eliminations)

2 Kansas State Records Set In 2016 In Xtreme 1 And Kaos 1 In Midwest SPL

2-1.jpgsa.jpg
DCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

David said:

audio is a lifestyle, not a hobby

newls1
I cant read a tape to save my life... 1/2's are ok, but other marks confuse me
kingsuv
only men who cant read a tape, take it in the ass
kingsuv
you sir, get a pink hard hat on jobsites

Did the shop even bother to run a combustion gas test either with the blue fluid and tester or a 4 gas analyzer?

This. What you should have your shop that is doing the work do is to diagnose the car instead of doing it over the phone. Request them to perform a compression test and a combustion test to see if you have gases mixing in the coolant. To be honest, you did the wrong thing by continuing driving the car knowing that the car was misfiring and coolant was leaking, car was overheating. IF you just have just some blown intake gaskets, you would be very lucky. Also get your radiator replaced. You are just asking for more problems by not replacing parts that you know are bad, that can give you further issues down the road. I get this from customers all the time. They decline recommended work, but get mad when they break down from neglecting their car.

2006 GMC Yukon
Pioneer HU

SHCA ran throughout

Crescendo BC3500

One 18 AA Mayhem in a 4th order

ZED Levithian 6 channel

Rainbow Dual 6.5 comps ran Active
matt142-1-1.jpg
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155628-matt14s-yukon-mayhem-in-a-4th-ordernew-amps-and-bats/page-3

Archived