Sundown Audio

I am considering buying 4 of the E-8 subs and running them off of an aq2200, I am also considering the sa-8 but don't know yet.

Not trying to make a vs thread so I will mostly keep this about the e-8. Do they get loud? By loud I am not talking about 160, or even 150. I will be building a ported box in a 2006 Scion XB. I hit 138 with 2 type-r subs in a prefab a few years ago so the vehicle is relatively easy to get loud with imo. That was without dynamat, on stock electrical with an alpine 500w mono block at an IASCA event in 2007 (dunno what meter was used).

I am looking to exceed that with this setup. I would imagine with the aq2200 (assuming the e-8s can handle that) and sundown subs in a properly built box I could do that. But... I don't know so that is why I am asking you guys. I have deadened the vehicle but still have stock electrical. I may do the big-3 but the stock alternator will be staying.

Also, while I am here... I have an optima blue top battery sitting around. Can I run my car off of that, and would I benefit in doing so? If not, would I benefit from putting it in the back? Didn't cost me anything and is in good shape so just wondering if I would gain anything by using it.

With the e-8 subs, how low could I expect them to play and still sound good? Thanks for helping a noob!

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

I guess you to go with the SA 8 sub´s, The E 8 v 3 is a 300 watt RMS sub the SA 8 are a 500 watt RMS. You have a 2.2 K amp it´s not recommanded to overpower sub´s.

Sundownsub´s are known to take a beating sometimes twice than they rate, gains set with an O-scope or DD-1. Obviously losses with imprise and so on, i would go with

the SA 8´s they matching better to the power of your amp.

"in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley

nobody can say how loud anything will be...

those subs should handle a AQ2200..put the Optima blue in the back and do the big3 also

http://www.stevemead...cherokee-build/

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Alpine CDE-hd148bt

Alpine PKG-RSE2

PRV Audio (4) 6MB200 front/rear doors

PRV Audio (4) TW350Ti dash/rear doors

Kicker KX350.4

Obsidian Audio (1) 18 D4 v2

revamp (2) Stereo Integrity HT 18d2
DC Audio 1.2k
5.25ft^3 tuned @34hz

revamp Infinite Baffle Cpillar

AudioTechnix 60mil deadener
KnuKonceptz & SkyHigh wire (complete setup)

stroupe79.jpg

download_zps6be69688.jpg

Seriously though, no one can say, but the e'8s are a very nice sub if you are on a budget. I'm sure they will make you very happy.

• Like (+1 Rep) 5

Here's the best answer to your question

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Or you can buy them and tell us

Wow, I don't see where I broke any of those rules, so thanks for being a tool to a guy new to the boards. I just imagined that in the Sundown forum that someone would own a set and maybe post their experience. I know damn good and well there is no magic calculator that gives a termlab score before you do the install. This was not a comparison thread as I specifically stated I wanted to keep it about the e-8s.. No wonder I haven't tried to get back into the car audio community...

Yes I stated my goal was to exceed my old system, but I didn't ask if my proposed setup would break 138, 140, 142.. etc... Without having a box design picked out you can't even start to look at the exact numbers... I was basically trying to see if anyone had the subs and what they were getting out of them. ie.. if someone is hitting 150db with them then they can get loud... setups will be different and vary drastically... but if I built an identical box, with an identical electrical system in an identical vehicle... I could reasonably expect at least ~similar~ results... no? I might not hit 150 with the same setup but assuming all specs are identical, we can agree I would almost certainly be louder than 130, no?

I also asked how they sound at lower freqs, and maybe I worded that wrong too lol.. But.... I can tell you first hand that Boss Shallow mount 10s sound like poo once you get below about 45HZ in a sealed box that meets the recommended size by the manufacturer, so I would think that someone could say "the e-8s" are capable of playing low freqs like a champ" or "they are nice subs but not really the best on the bottom end" or whatever the case may be. And I know that can be at least someone calculated using winisd or several other programs. I compared the sa-10s to my old Boss 10s and can easily say the sundown subs will perform better at lower frequencies when following manufacturers recommendations for the enclosure... I doubt anyone would argue otherwise right?

If somehow I did violate a rule that I didn't see in your ohsokindandhelpful post.. then I apologize and will take my questions elsewhere.

Edited by ncochran
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

Build log

nobody can say how loud anything will be...

those subs should handle a AQ2200..put the Optima blue in the back and do the big3 also

Thank you, at least you were somewhat constructive.. I think everyone else misunderstood.... I wasn't asking "how many dbs will this do".. I was looking for advice on my battery, and trying to get peoples opinions on the e-8 subs and whether they might be a decent match for that amp.

Edited by ncochran

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

Build log

E8v3s or v2? And ibanender on YouTube put the v3 on a term lab and did a 147.4. The v3 is a nice sub, I got one so far and people tell me it sounds more like a 10. I got one of 520 watts rms and takes it no problem. Pretty loud for one, but my loud and you're loud are 2 different things, I'm more of SQ than SPL and don't plan on competing until I get a couple of em. I got mine a .66ft^3 tuned to 35hz and sounds good, next box ima tune around 30hz cause I play a lot of decaf and rap.

Edited by soBASED

Car:
- 2013 Honda Accord Sport 6MT

- aFe SRI

Electrical:

- Big 3 w/ Execution Audio 0/1 AWG OFC
- Stock Battery

Audio:

- JBL Power Series 6.5 Comps up front (Running off HU power atm)

- JBL Power Series 2-Ways in the rear deck (Running off HU power atm)

Subwoofer:

- Sundown Audio X-15
- CT Sounds AT1400.1D (@1 ohm)

Bedroom:

- Yamaha RX-V365

- Pair of Klipsch KG4.2's

- 2 E8v3's in a 1.34ft^3 tuned to 30hz
- No Amp yet..

- CoolMax ZU900B PSU for amp

In my room & previous car:
- Amp: Soundstream TX1.1300D @ 4 ohms (520 watts)
- T-Line Enclosure tuned to 32hz
YouTube : http://www.youtube.c...r8?feature=mhee