Well, with 55 watt hids I'm pretty sure that is like high beam lights for hids. The hids are brighter than normal halogens. You might not be able to use them on the road due to risk of blinding people, even if they are in the stock bumper lights. Most people just run 35 watts hids in fogs so that they can be on all the time, as DRL.

I appreciate all the help!

Thank you sir!

2012 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 W/ 6 Speed

Build Log

2011 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor 6.2

Build Log

YouTube

wattage doesn't mean anything about highs or lows. beam pattern refers to high and low beams (look at bi-xenons for an example). if you're worried about it, 35 watt HID's will be plenty bright enough. i honestly don't see the point of 55 watt HIDs for fogs. but with that being said....i'm lightly considering some for my retrofit just because i can. and that way if i go with 55 watt headlights they'll color match better. even tho 35 will be plenty bright for me.

and no...don't drill a hole lol

Well, Hids can be match to the color temperature that you want in a given range. The higher the number the more purple it becomes, the lower the number the more yellow it becomes.

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

Well, Hids can be match to the color temperature that you want in a given range. The higher the number the more purple it becomes, the lower the number the more yellow it becomes.

There is a color difference between 55w 6000k and 35w 6000k (or whatever color). The more power fed into a bulb the more scattered the light color becomes.

Build Log

Build Log

YouTube

wattage doesn't mean anything about highs or lows. beam pattern refers to high and low beams (look at bi-xenons for an example). if you're worried about it, 35 watt HID's will be plenty bright enough. i honestly don't see the point of 55 watt HIDs for fogs. but with that being said....i'm lightly considering some for my retrofit just because i can. and that way if i go with 55 watt headlights they'll color match better. even tho 35 will be plenty bright for me.

and no...don't drill a hole lol

So will 55w melt the housing?

Build Log

Build Log

YouTube

i haven't tried it myself, so i can't say. the people above say they're fine in their vehicles, but me personally would be afraid to stick 55w bulbs in my fog housings. mainly because after i take all the time to do a retrofit, i don't want any issues/failures or it's wasted time and money for me. if you do have issues it'd be a simple fog light swap, but then you'd have to sell your HID's and get the 35w kit

Or why not get kit for your jeep that has a HID fog light kit if they make them? They might not but its worth a shot.

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

The reason the light is scattered is because it needs a specific housing for the HID to focus the light. Try to throw HIDs in a normal headlight housing no projector its going to go everywhere and end up blinding someone. Don't use hids on a stock wiring harness that came factory on your vehicle. You can run into problems. Like the wiring inside the car could melt or something else entirely.

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

You should be just fine with 55w HID's in your fog lights. I have 35's in my fogs but for a month I tried it with a 55w ballast and it worked just fine and was a bit brighter. I have mine so the fogs are 35w 4300k FutureVision HID's and the low beams are retrofitted with a 55w, 8000k bulb. With the extra wattage the color spectrum tends to drop to the next one so my 8000k lows don't have that much blue that a 35w 8000k bulb would show. My color is more like 6000k for the low beam.

The only bit of melting I have with my HID's are where the beam sits directly in front of the top middle from the bulb. I did not retrofit my fogs since I couldnt get them unscrewed but they have a slight hazing spot in the middle where the hid bulb sits but it has never melted anything in or around the light itself. My low beams with it being a projector have made little bubbles in the headlight lens like it was torched too hot in a spot the size of a pea but that is where the light has the most energy as it comes out of the projector and it is not noticeable unless you look directly at my lenses and it did not crack or anything. My projectors get super hot when I run my lights, whether when I had the 35w ones or my current 55w. I really believe from what Ive seen on mine that HID's run hotter but draw less power once they are hot than an halogen bulb. I tested the current draw and it only draws the most when it first fires and warms up. The biggest thing with HID's is that you need to have space around the bulb itself. If you accidentally have a hot bulb and put it near paint (I did on accident) it will burn the paint. Same for in the light itself, try to keep it to a good length from the tip of the bulb to the lens and the same for the area around the bulb itself and you will be fine.

I didnt see you mention it but I strongly recommend using a relay kit with your hid's. You dont want to overload the stock wiring with the 30 amps of current the ballast will draw when its fired up initially when the stock wires are only made for like 15 amps max.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

You wont have any problems dude! Ive ran 55w lows, highs, and fogs in all my vehicles. Just dont leave them on in the summer when your not moving for a period of time.

If you wanna go blindingly bright forget the hids and get aircraft landing lights ;)

Archived