Fuses & multiple runs of 0 gauge.

I have a dc 3.5k, want to get full power from it.

If I do 2 runs of 0 gauge, would I use 4 400 amp fuses, or 2 200 amp fuses per run? It'd be going from front batt to back batt, then to my amp.

New Setup;

H/U; Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Wiring; 2 runs of 2/0 OFC & Big 3.

Subs; 2 D1 DC Level 4s.

Monoblock; DC 3.5k.

4 Channel; JBL GTO1004.

Highs; Vifa NE25VTS-04.

Mids; Aura NS6-255-8A.

Alt; 160a.

Batts; Optima, KHC1800.

from batt to batt you should fuse both front and rear at the wires rating. Capacity will also depend on wire length. For 1/0 OFC 300a is appropriate. For CCA 250a is appropriate. Fuse each positive run 2wice - once near the front batt and once near the rear batt.

for fusing to the amp some will say to just fuse to the wire as well, to be "safe" fuse to the amps rating or below - combined - meaning if you want 400a of power run a 200a fuse in each run if using 2 runs to the amp.

There is a lot of info on the site around this topic and I suggest some searching and reading (using the site search feature) to learn more so you understand what why and how vs just being told what to do. This way you can make your own decisions and undertsand the risks of fusing too high

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

as said^ but not all

the first fuse needs to as close to batt as possible (with in 18") and has a max rating no higher then the cable rating (the fuse is there to protect the wire and nothing else )

if that wire is going to another battery then after that battery there needs to be another fuse fitted as close to batt as possible (with in 18") and has a max rating no higher then the cable rating

then if you witch to project the amp you are fitting and if it doesnt have any built in fuses, you can add them in but they need to be fitted between the supply and item being projected

to save on fuses if the item you wish to protect requires it then a fuse rated @ required amp + an allowance for cable length and efficiency can be fitted down the line in replace of another as long as it doesnt exceed the wire rating

So you do have to fuse two times from front battery to the rear battery? I think that 2 fuses from front batt to rear batt is a bit much. If the first fuse goes then the second fuse wont to anything I think.

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

and when possible ... make sure that your grounds are as short as possible to the body of your vehicle (frame would be best)

at each battery negative terminal application ... Amplifier Negative terminal applications too

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

So you do have to fuse two times from front battery to the rear battery? I think that 2 fuses from front batt to rear batt is a bit much. If the first fuse goes then the second fuse wont to anything I think.

A fuse within 18 inches of each battery positive terminal application in the vehicle ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

Would that not mean to fuse every positive wire from every rear battery? I just think that from front battery to rear bank to fuse twice in 1 wire is strange. Once the first fuse at the front battery goes then the wire has no more power coming from the alternator. Unless the fuse in the second wire did not go. But if both fuse's go next to the front battery in the 2 or however many wires there are then the point of the rear second fuse in the wires are pointless.

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

If you have 2 batteries within 18 inches from each other, one fuse within 18 inches of the battery terminal lead going to the front of the vehicle will be fine ... Your fuses are there not for the batteries sake, but for your system's safety. Especially when you run wire through metal and something goes wrong, you are protected from front and rear battery sources ...

Archived