Sundown Audio

16v and 4 channels...

SnowDrifter

How do you all run 16v setups with your 4 channels? Do you have a step-down converter or do they seem like they handle it? And if they don't protect, is it bad to run a class AB amp at that high of voltage?

It depends can your amp handle it? The specs for what it can handle should be in the Manuel and you can use a step down to.

2003 f150, 2 ab hd 15 on brutus 2400.1, kinetik batt, big 3, knu wire, image dynamics cxs 6.5 with ppi tweets, pioneer 1din and clarion eq.

I checked in the manual and found no mention of any sort of max voltage.

Amp is a Crossfire BMF600.4 if anyone wants to see if they can find something on it.

If I need a stepdown converter, I'm just either going to go full 18v or stick with 14v.

Most people just run two separate systems.. 12v for main electrical and mids and highs amps.. and 16v for sub amps. I wouldnt recommend running step downs since if they go bad or quit working it will jump up your main electrical to 18v + or whatever your charging at and fuck up everything.

7w1lnOR.jpg

2004 Bagged Trailblazer

(4)18" Sundown Nsv3s
(4) Taramps HD10000s, Taramps DSP3000, Lanzar opti 250x2, AB 100x4
(2)DC power SP 270s, (14)XS Power d3100s, (1)d6500

Why go through all that for 18v....why not sell the BC3.5 and go to the BC5500?

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

^This, you'd probably want a dual alt situation to be safe

That's stat I was thinking, one alt running at 12v ran to a upgraded front battery powering main electrical devices and mid and highs. Then the second alt running to your back battery(s) running the sub amps

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Why go through all that for 18v....why not sell the BC3.5 and go to the BC5500?

This all started out as I need new batteries. Alt was charging too high and caused my current ones to gas off

I keep reading that going 16v is *just* high enough that you don't need a stepdown - the car's electronics should be able to handle it. It would be just a simple battery swap and dialing up the charging voltage

All I was getting at when I said 18v is if I would need to run a stepdown anyway, even if I'm going 16v, I might as well do full 18v.

Make sense?

I feel like we got totally off track...

I need new batteries. Been thinking of running 16v, but my only question is if the 4 channel can handle it

Archived