2006 Scion XB 2 SA12s and BRZ2100 4th order wall on Page 4

Looking great man! Glad to hear you like the box.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

As usual with things I work on, I start in the wrong place lol. I was smart enough to dynamat just about the entire car before getting started, but foolish enough to neglect my electrical system. I threw an optima blue top up front this afternoon, and am anxiously awaiting 50 feet of 1/0 and some terminals from skyhighcaraudio. Once I get that (probably mon-tues) I will be doing the Big 3, and upgrading from 4g to 1/0 all the way back. I was absolutely killing my headlights lol. If this doesn't fix it, there will be a new alternator in my future as well.

On a positive note, those subs can take a hell of a beating without even getting warm. I originally set my gain with a dmm knowing that it won't stop me from clipping but figuring it would put me in the ballpark as far as wattage went. At the suggested 300 watts RMS per sub at a 1.3~ ohm load I calculated up right around 34 volts and set the gain accordingly using a 40hz test track. With those settings it wasn't near loud enough for me so I did what any fool would do... and cranked it up lol (well.. not all the way, but you get the picture)

Currently the gain is about 3/4 of the way up with the bass boost up just a little bit (probably 1/4 or so) with pretty flat setting on my head unit (appradio 2) I left the bass settings pretty flat and adjusted the upper freqs to suit my tastes and don't turn it up past 30 (it goes to 40) to hopefully prevent sending a clipped signal to the amp. However, I can't guarantee that I am not clipping my subs. If anyone in the VA Beach or OBX area has an O scope or DD1 and the time to help me out, I will buy the beer, soda, or whatever you drink.

I am an electrician with the Coast Guard and can work an O scope, but I don't currently have access to one. Lol at my last job I had 3 of them that I didn't dust off in the entire 4 years I was there lol.... now that I need one, I don't have one.

System sounds great, amp and subs stay cool, but until I get hold of an O scope I will probably not run them too hard.

Front stage is going to get done this weekend. Alpine type-S components up front, and some Polk Audio coaxials in the back running off a Kicker 300.2. I may be looking for a 4 channel sometime in the future but for now that will get it done.

As far as the box goes, I cust/installed the tinted plexi last night after painting the areas underneath where the plexi will be. Looks great both lit and unlit. I am currently wrestling with ideas on how exactly I want to do the amp rack, and considering removing the spare tire, making a false floor which would give me more room for wiring, as well as make it easier to bolt the box to the car. It is just sitting loose right now and I don't like that.

Well enough with all the talk lol. Going to get back to work. Hopefully here in a day or two I will have some new pics and maybe a vid. But right now I use my phone to play the music and can't really make vids at the same time :P Thanks for all your comments and interest!

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

Did more work. Big 3 upgrade complete, as well as 1/0 cca and 4ga ofc running to back for amps. Also added 1/0 ground for sub amp. Carpeted box and got everything cleaned up and running. I installed one set of components using the stock 6 1/2 location as well as the stock 3" location in the dash (mounted tweeter in there). Only exciting pics are of the box and carpeting.. everyone has seen a Big 3 (mine isn't that special lol) and I didn't have my phone/cam with me when I did the door speakers but that was uneventful as well. This was my first time ever carpeting anything and it didn't come out too bad.

photo1.jpg

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

going to install false floor and some trim to clean all that up next week when I get back from Florida. Also may do something with some plexi/LEDs and a sundown sticker in the trim but we will have to see :P Thanks in advance for any feedback (positive or negative)... first project and I have a lot to learn still.

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

Build log

looks good man get some vids up

02 impala

VM-1

2 dc 12 xl's

RF t2500bdcp

Second skin damp pro

Kenwood head unit

240 mechman alt

d3400 in the front

d3100 in the rear

50ft Rockford fosgate ofc 1/0

Just for future builds..if you use wood glue(i think you did in your pics) like tightbond 2/3 , and have a good joint, mechanical fastners like deck screws will do little to nothing but make holes you ahve to fill to get a smooth surface...glue joint is much strogner then a nailed/screwed together joint.

SInce you have a table saw if you are worried about strength on any bigger builds get a stacked dado blade and do some dado or rabbit joints....then it all fits together when you assemble and the joins are strong as hell.

Just trying to help..you did great on that box and I liek the wrap.. GOOD work man

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Thanks! That is awesome feedback and advice. I used wood screws that said they didn't need any predrilling, but that made it harder to get them in straight lol and 1-2 went in just crooked enough to bulge the sides of the box a bit. I am still a novice with my table saw but I will look into dados. I was surprised at how strong the glue was when building the box. After an hour or so of being clamped, it actually felt as strong as screws but I was worried that it wouldn't hold up to the box trying to flex. I will probably be trying a t-line build for one of the subs in the near future just for something to do, so I will keep that in mind.

I will be out of town for the next few days but when i get back I will be finishing up my high end and trin work and will try to get a vid up. Thanks again for the compliments and advice!

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

Build log

Just for future builds..if you use wood glue(i think you did in your pics) like tightbond 2/3 , and have a good joint, mechanical fastners like deck screws will do little to nothing but make holes you ahve to fill to get a smooth surface...glue joint is much strogner then a nailed/screwed together joint.

SInce you have a table saw if you are worried about strength on any bigger builds get a stacked dado blade and do some dado or rabbit joints....then it all fits together when you assemble and the joins are strong as hell.

Just trying to help..you did great on that box and I liek the wrap.. GOOD work man

huuh got pics man?

Shakin not Stirred....my buildhttp://www.stevemead...ngle-cab-build/412 CVX

And put a sealed enclosure in your trunk cut a hole in your deck and call it ported :lol2:

Archived