Second Skin Audio

Tuning frequencies

Ollierides

Hi there guys , I know tuning frequency is all relative too

A) spl vs sq

B) what subwoofers you have

C) what music you listen to

etc

But say for one 15inch subwoofer in a 4qubicfoot box what would each HZ sound like

Thanks , just wana know why spl tunes are usally higher etc . Which one of these is musical , which one will flex the most , which should hit best spl reading etc Thanks

BTW could you lay it out like this

28=best ....

32=best...

34=best...

Etc

Thanks , ollie

Depends on car, the car's resonant frequency, etc

Just because a certain frequency gives you crazy flex or a high SPL reading in one car, doesn't mean that that it will do the same in the other.

Basically acoustics are a bitch.

I don't think anybody can tell you what would be the best. Way too many factors.

Edit: I don't really have the experience to answer it how you want it, but I at least wanted to say the 3rd line :P

2016 Ford Focus SE

No build log yet
DC Audio 1.2K
2x DC Audio Level 2 10"

my opinion:

28 hz MUCHO FLEX, you listen to decaf 24/7

34-36hz wide range of music and will still hit low and flex

38-40hz you dont listen to rap music or if you do, dont want to hit very low loud

40+ SPL tuning frequencies

your best spl will be based off of the resonant frequency of your car, and it could fall below the 40hz area depending on the vehicle

max SPL is a total experiment based off of you equipment and car, and can take lots of trial and error to get it right,,

XS-power1.jpg

What about 30hz. That's what my current box is at and find it only good for Decaf. May just be used to it by now, and only with 750rms. I'm thinking of going a big higher in tuning but doubt there will be a difference. :\

Alpine PDX-V9

Morel Tempo 6

Alpine SBR-S8-4

Alpine CDE 149BT

Honestly dude, there are too many variables, some setups can tune to 28 hz and still kill it on the high notes and some can't. Some can tune to mid-high 30s and still play down to the mid 20s others will barely go below 30....it just depends, no info you gain here is really going to be valuable

Team NorthWestSPL

What about 30hz. That's what my current box is at and find it only good for Decaf. May just be used to it by now, and only with 750rms. I'm thinking of going a big higher in tuning but doubt there will be a difference. :\

30hz in most cases is still in decaf mode, from my builds, to keep various styles of music working well the lowest I usually tune is 34, i've done some 30's and 32's but

but as stated above there are odds of a very low tuned box to still pick up high notes fine.

right now I am tuned at 36 hz, it hits 28 hz ok, 30hz really good, and I reach my peak SPL at almost 50 hz with very little db variance (about 2 db) in SPL from around 34-50 hz, i would consider that a wide range like stated above, but that also has a lot to do with the resonant frequency of my car.

XS-power1.jpg

Archived