Why 2 RCA's for Sub Bass?

Just curious why there are two outputs (on 99% of h/u's) on decks and two inputs on most amps. Isn't sub-bass a mono signal? I was just wondering this as I get my rca's ready to run to my two sub amps. I have to use splitters.

Can somebody do a quick test for me? Unplug one rca from your sub amp and tell me if its quieter, or sounds the same?

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Sounds quieter for me

Tried head unit as a source and iPod as a source

Im not sure why but it definatly is quieter(probably has somthing to do with deviding the input voltage in half.... cutting output by some sort of ratio) im sure someone more knowledgable will weigh in.

Edit to let you know mines a lanzar opti pro 2000d

I just wish i had a funny sig.

If you take one RCA out of your sub amp it will get quieter.

Edit: You probably can compensate for that by turning the gain on the amp up.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

Hmm... Not sure

I got the same result with my Crescendo, a Hifonics 1200, and my 4 channel in bridged mode

Every amp Ive had the same question with I've noticed it was quieter and I also metered the difference on the o-scope and the voltage dropped in the output when I disconnected one rca from the input. Its weird because it is a mono output but I believe it takes 2 channels in and sums them for the output.

Edit: I believe (really am like 99% sure) the reason for this is for people who have just a mono amp in their system and use the left and right output from their radio's rca outputs to send the signal to it. If they were to use just the left or just the right rca then whatever bass on the opposite channel would not be played through the mono amp as it cannot sum the signals together since there is only 1 signal to use.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Well, if you look at processors like the 360.3, and you using a center channel, you will only have one sub output. Also, on certain amps, mostly Brazilian, they only have one sub input.

Raptor, you are probably right about voltage and gain adjustment.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

I don't think it would be a big deal to had one RCA going in. Just adjust the gain to compensate and you should be good to go. Well... Except for maybe if you are listening to some music where the individual toms on the drum are on their own left or right channel. Then it might sound weird

You know... One thing I haven't tested is using both left and right RCAs vs. just one channel with a splitter

That may be, I use a .2 (soon to be 2 .2's) and it sums the inputs internally so there is no need to use 2 rca signals for the input as if you only had 2 rca's going into the processor (left and right) then the processor will automatically split/sum up the channel as it needs to. The only thing about that is for amps that do have 2 inputs. Now the way around this would be to tune the gain for just the single rca input use so that it is at the max level unclipped but keep in mind that if in the future you connect another rca to the open connection on the amp then you will have to reset the gains. There are a few different scenarios with this but there are cases where you can use just one rca, set the gains and be done, other times you HAVE to use both rca's for left and right, set the gains and be done. It all revolves around whether the subwoofer signal that is going into the amp was already summed or not.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Archived