I've had some equipment laying around for a while, and my wife wants a very little bit of bass, but I figure I may as well make the most of what I have.

Her car: Chevy Malibu

Equipment:

Alpine 9885

Alpine Type-X 12 D4

Hifonics 2006d

Enclosure: ~1.5ft net tuned to 36hz with 24sqin of port.

She wants a little bass, and plenty of room to put groceries. Also no wires or equipment hanging out like most drop in installs.

Of course everything starts at the kitchen table:

Posted Image

Really rough sketch- many people use a progam to get a cut sheet, but I like writing :). I ran out of graph paper- but it works fine.

Basically the port stretches around inside the back of the box, with the amp being mounted 'in' the box to a rack.

Here's a microsoft paint thing I did real quick to show a real basic idea of what it will look like:

Posted Image

Before anyone says anything about ventilation for the amp- it's not a concern. My wife drives 15 min each way to school or work, so I doubt she'll have any problems.

This is a temporary box till she gets a new car in a few months, so I just used some old warped mdf I had in my shed. I figure there's no reason I can't use it for the light bit it'll be used. Kind of interesting to see how such ghetto stuff will turn out lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then my tablesaw died on me :angry:

I think I'm going to buy a new one from lowes and pop this one back in the box and get my $ back. I spend thousands there a month, the people know me by name, and the saw is less than a year old- damn straight I'm not eating the cost.

Posted Image

That's what I got done before the table saw died. I finished the cut with a circular saw and packed up for the night.

I tried to use my finish nailer to get the box put together, but I had to use screws because of how warped the wood is.

Posted Image

I left my air compressor on the wood to see if I can help get it a bit flatter.

That's all today, if all goes well with the saw I'll have it finished tomarrow, with all the pics to go. Maybe have time to get it installed.. No 'glass or anything- its not a big build or anything.

Any thoughts/comments are welcome!

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

damn that is some warped ass mdf..like u said...and i have that same table saw ;)

looks like it will turn out fine though...looks like it will be a pretty clean install (from the mspaint u did anyways...)

edit: im gonna move this to the build section...

i likes me some audio stuff...

Then my tablesaw died on me :angry:

I think I'm going to buy a new one from lowes and pop this one back in the box and get my $ back. I spend thousands there a month, the people know me by name, and the saw is less than a year old- damn straight I'm not eating the cost.

the old switcheroo

Sorry about posting in the wrong spot- I completely forgot about this section. Trying not to make a habit of it.. :(

The board is warped as hell though :lol: Thanks man. Yep, saw made a strange deep noise then stopped- I think the motor just died. I like how portable it is though.

Anyway, pics of equipment:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

Okay, more updates. I hope to have this finished today, I had to go to Lowes and some other things, only got a little more work in so far. Then I had to set up the new table saw and all that.

Being right on every cut, priceless:

Posted Image

I love using a tablesaw.

Just getting all the pieces cut.

Posted Image

And finishing assembling the 'box' portion.

Posted Image

Posted Image

A note to anyone not using good wood: go buy good stuff!

This wood splits really bad, so every pic that has a clamp in it is where even though it's been predrilled it splits. With some glue and a clamp it's fixable, but really time consuming.

Starting the port

Posted Image

And getting ready to put it in place. Like I said, the wood is so warped I'm using screws and I forgot how much longer that takes than finish nails. Each screw is literally bending the wood back where it should be.

Posted Image

And about to attatch it:

Posted Image

Thats where I am now. Just to put the top on, cut the hole, cut the hole for the cover, and put the 'amp rack' part in.

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

interesting. i've never seen a port like that before.

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

Archived