1) Step daughter mustang- 65' with 200 inline 6

This car has been a headache. Right now its on NON- Start status.

It was before for a week or so, I temporarily fixed the issue.

I have changed- out -of start -issue, and because the parts were needed, Starter upgraded all battery cables to 4 gauge, new upgraded battery, starter, solenoid, spark plugs, coil, wires (electronic ignition previously installed) Carb was rebuilt (after is when the car was intermittedly dying again, now dead- is getting fuel flow, and everything, carb is working) butterflys good, linkage good.- nothing changed, just one day it wouldnt start, and about 3 days previous (every day, first start of the day)- sluggish low-ROUGH- idle, finally it would catch up to idle about 2 mins when it starts getting warmed up- then idle runs high untill fully warmed- got the carb rebuilt, that idle issue was slightly fixed, but that was assumed to be the heat choke, and that part for the carb is no longer available- Rebuild status wise....

I have came to the conclusion, 2 things left....

Timing chain- slightly lose- have to crank the crank shaft back and forth with a breaker bar to notice slack/sag in the chain- MAYBE chain is streched to where it affects the timming that much, but no back firing???? Iam used to back fires thru carb or exhaust when timing is bad

The last 2 cylinders foul plugs out fast!!! 100miles, and the plugs are oily, and chared, Iam thinking the piston rings are toast on the last 2 cylinders..... I do have a compression gauge, but its the gayest one of all time!!!

it threads into the spark plug hole, but you have no way to tighten it, or losen it- just spinning the hose until its in some ways, but it doesnt seal off good enough to get an accurate reading- right now it reads about 3 - 4/1 comp ratio, then drops

I really need to get that rubber nipple type compression tester, oh well....

But would 2 cylinders with bad rings, bad compression cause this inline 6 to NOT start, or does it sound like a timing issue

Oh and yes, there is spark, I have a spark tester, tested all cylinders, and coil, good

IAM SORRY ABOUT THE LENGTH IN THESE 2 ISSUES- I TRIED EVERYTHING ON THE MUSTANG

2)My new toy, The Astro Van

Iam honestly thinking up swapping from 4.3L V6 to a 350 v8

I hear its the easiest engine swap around, looks easy, but does this conflict with CA emissions?

Basically could I get away with a newer v8 from like a caprice or something, pop it in, with emmissions, test and pass- (if engine can pass emmisions)

Or should I attempt to throw a oldschool v8, carbed, headers, etc and see about getting it registered as showcar?

I know there is no emmissions on show cars, and there is a limited mileage if labeled as show car, wich that is fine.

I would drive it like 500 miles a month if that

I seek answers or advice from anyone who knows about these issues

especially the mustang

My step daughters getting pissed she has no car

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

And the Astro, well it has a headgasket, or piston ring problem, I just rather stay away from the v6 if I can... the guy said its just a head gasket, but who knows

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

I don't see any problems with doing a carbureted 350 swap in the astro, as long as it has catalytic converters and mufflers and doesn't run too rich or lean, it should pass CA emissions test. Unless CA emissions tests are stricter than Renos.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

yes, they are probably alot stricter

Arnold is our governor

lol

But besides that, yeah, they are strict

sundown.jpg

For the mustang it really sounds like your timing is off bad. The belt should have no slag in it but it has to be tighten to specs. Did you replace the timing belt yourself and how did you tighten the tensioner? How old is the belt? when you look at the belt do the teeth look worn. You want to be very careful to get the timing right and make sure the belt is not to worn. If the teeth break you can bend a valve (meaning rebuild).

For the sparkplugs check the gaskets that go around the spark plug tube if you have had to take off the head or valve cover they can get loose.

As for the van im not to up-to-date on those crate engines but im studying up on them currently for a swap we are doing.

Good luck man let us kno what you get.

Mark

99 Eclipse Spyder

• 4 weeks later...

all you'd have to do is have a good cat. convertor and mufflers and youd be good on the swap.

when we lived in missouri we had a big mud truck with no mufflers and it was too high but we always slipped the inspection guy some cash hed let us pass

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.

ya i had always heard that they had to have the new engine (the 350) as a option,

but i have a crx with a 1.8 acura engine when they never had a crx with a 1.8

So that can't be true. I highly doubt it would be legal swap.

Put that 350 in the mustang!!! That would be hott!!!

A mustang with a chevy engine really make ford lovers smile :lol:

Edited by sactownstang

ya i had always heard that they had to have the new engine (the 350) as a option,

but i have a crx with a 1.8 acura engine when they never had a crx with a 1.8

So that can't be true. I highly doubt it would be legal swap.

Put that 350 in the mustang!!! That would be hott!!!

A mustang with a chevy engine really make ford lovers smile :lol:

alot of car builders use sb chevies in old fords :lol:<_<

Team Devastation Mixed Martial ArtsMachado Brazilian JiujitsuOnce I lock it on there's no escape I don't train to make you tap, I train to tear your arm, leg, or head off. Its your job to tap before I can do that -Pain is only weakness leaving the body, its kill or be killed and only the strong survive...Rockford FosgateDigital DesignsFi Car AudioCrossfire Car Audio