Idle or Max?

I've been looking around at H/O alts, and I noticed on a few of DC Power's alts (may be the case with other companies, haven't checked yet) that some alts had a higher MAX amperage, but a lower IDLE amperage, while others had a lower max amperage but a higher idle amperage. Specifically, the 370a XP's specs say 215a at idle, while the 320a SPX-i's specs say 240a at idle.

My main question is: Is it worth trading the max amperage for the idle amperage? What would go into making the decision?

Lane AKA HeroKight

'96 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4x4

R.I.P. Molliboo

$200 for new tires, on a jeep!? Is she stealing them or building them with a heat gun and rubber bands?

You hear that????

That's a category 5 shit storm coming

n8: hey you doing today. What's it like being a bitch? you can pm me if you'd like to explain why you arent one. Just like you did for your vs threads.

^^^Rules. Follow them.^^^

Haha. Yeah.... That's what I thought, I just wasn't sure since every rule book I've read says the highest idle you can have (without reving) is 2k. Looking to demo more than compete, but I wanted to be sure on my choice. So basically I'd be best off going with the 370a and calling it a day?

Lane AKA HeroKight

R.I.P. Molliboo

$200 for new tires, on a jeep!? Is she stealing them or building them with a heat gun and rubber bands?

You hear that????

n8: hey you doing today. What's it like being a bitch? you can pm me if you'd like to explain why you arent one. Just like you did for your vs threads.

Your call man....

I chose a lesser, due to it being a working, driving ground pounder.....

I wanna be able to go get some take out,.... banging while driving, and, banging while stopped, and not gassing it.

Whatever floats your boat.......

Wait wait wait... I may have gotten a little confused.... Did you mean look out in a bad way, or that that's what I should look for?

Lane AKA HeroKight

R.I.P. Molliboo

You hear that????

Wait wait wait... I may have gotten a little confused.... Did you mean look out in a bad way, or that that's what I should look for?

i think he means, dont look just for the MAX output, because if the idle is too low and u get to a stoplight or something your whole vehicle could die from lack of output. but since i'm not him, im not 100% sure lol but thats what id be concerned about

Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/152368-littlebuck1919s-feedback/#entry2177586

i think you'd stick your dick in a blender if it told you it was 40 wtih two kids your age. lol

6/18/82 - 4/17/12

R.I.P. to my sister Shana

Max output is the alt output power at 2k engine RPM when cold.

How much power are you running? IMO idle > revving output for daily

Ah... Gotcha... Yeah I'm waiting on quotes from Mechman and Singer too. I have pretty much everything else planned out as much as I can, I just wasn't sure about this part. Electrical has always been my weak point. Thanks guys!

Lane AKA HeroKight

R.I.P. Molliboo

You hear that????

Max output is the alt output power at 2k engine RPM when cold.

How much power are you running? IMO idle > revving output for daily

I don't even have a car right now, I'm just doing my research before I jump into a build that isn't thoroughly thought out. But so far, lets say about.... 18kw or so. Yeah, it looks like I'll be looking for good idle output then. Not necessarily looking to compete, I just wanna build something violent for demos and daily.

Lane AKA HeroKight

R.I.P. Molliboo

You hear that????

Archived