Making a Fiberglass "Copy"

This is how I would do it if you are wanting the glass piece. Get another sheet of 1/2" mdf (24x48 sheet). Lay 2 layers of blue painters tape on the wood in a crisscross pattern. Next take the broken pieces and try to get them to match up the best you can and lay them on the sheet . take a sharpie and trace the edges. Now remove the pieces and put car wax on the painters tape, covering a couple inches on each side of the lines. Do 2 layers of wax. While the wax is drying start cutting your glass to fit the lines, with them overlapping an inch or so on each side. Going to need to cut a lot since you are wanting 1/4" to 1/2" thick. Going to guess about 8 layers worth. Now put resin on the piece and then lay the glass. Keep on doing that process till you reach your desired thickness. Let it cure a day or 2 then pull from the wood and trip to the inside of the lines as best you can. Walla, got you your fiberglass piece.

Nice idea.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Blue's idea is great,

also I would use 1/2" mdf, run a flush trim to make an exact copy then use a rabbiting bit to knock down the whole piece 1/3 of an inch then glass right onto the 1/2 piece of wood and use dowels to put the pieces back in place since the fiberglass won't bend that much. It's fucking solid at 1/4 of an inch with mat

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

Its got to bend, so maybe glass isn't the best route here.

Could you tape your car off and glass inside it? So the fiberglass cures in the shape you need?

Like this: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-dc5k-hertz-actuator-on-the-rear-seat-modified-smd-vm-1-first-attempt-at-fiberglass-trim-panel/?p=2462391

So do the little stuff while still sandwiching the glass. Maybe 3 layers or 4 and you're good I'd think. You can always cut the excess glass when it's cured.

I was looking more for the smooth look of the glass, not so uch worried about strength. And since the piece has to bend, I dont think fiberglass is gonna work. I appreciate your input.

Its got to bend, so maybe glass isn't the best route here.

Could you tape your car off and glass inside it? So the fiberglass cures in the shape you need?

Like this: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-dc5k-hertz-actuator-on-the-rear-seat-modified-smd-vm-1-first-attempt-at-fiberglass-trim-panel/?p=2462391

Has to be removeable for track days. Fiberglass isn't going to work here it seems.

I appreciate all your guys help. If i'd known fiberglass doesn't bend much before breaking, I wouldn't have made this thread. All the input is awesome, though.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

When in doubt on the glass work, get a hold of Tim Prins...

You know, this guy http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/forum/67-tim-ayaka-groundpounder2k2s-corner/

Daily Driver 1999 Kia Sephia

Kenwood DNX-893s
Audison Bit One Processor
2 Dat 4.125's
Sundown Audio SCV-6k
Hertz hsk-165xl's Mids running active                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Focal V30 Series Tweeters running active 
Sundown Sa-8 v1's in the doors
2 Sundown Zv5 12's 
Lots of Hushmat
Big 3+ and 3 + & 3- runs of Trystar 2/0
2 Dc Power Engineering 320 HP Alts

2017 Comp Vehicle
2006 Toyota 4 Runner
Kenwood Excelon DNX-893s                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Audison Bit One HD DSP
4 Sundown Sa 6.5v2 Component Sets 
Focal Access 6.5 2 ways
Sundown Audio Sax-50.4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Sundown Audio Sax-100.4
2 Dc Power 370xp
Northstar agm27f
Northstar agm65
2 Northstar asmagm 480's
2 Dual 1 Sundown Nightshade v3 12's
2 Sundown SCV-7500's
All SMD Fuse Holders
Shitload Of Sundown 1/0

120 sq ft Second Skin Damp Pro

No, Its Not A Burp Truck!!!!

2016 Season 3rd place in Xtreme 1 At Finals

2016 Season 6th Place In Kaos 1 At Finals ( Blew The Subs Up In First Round Eliminations)

2 Kansas State Records Set In 2016 In Xtreme 1 And Kaos 1 In Midwest SPL

2-1.jpgsa.jpg
DCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

David said:

audio is a lifestyle, not a hobby

newls1
I cant read a tape to save my life... 1/2's are ok, but other marks confuse me
kingsuv
only men who cant read a tape, take it in the ass
kingsuv
you sir, get a pink hard hat on jobsites

In that shape, a 1/8in thick fiberglass sheet will bend. A 1/4in thick sheet cut into that shape should bend too, but not a whole lot. Not sure houw much of a bend you are looking for.

When I need fiberglass sheets I take a large piece of glass I got from homedepot. Its thin and crap, but works.

Wax the whole piece of glass.

DSC00110.jpg

Lay out a large piece of glass and wet it out, have a fiberglass roller handy. Keep adding layers to desire thickness and let cure on the glass.

DSC00114.jpg

The above piece is just one layer of 1.5oz, its pretty bendy.

Here it is cut to size with some tinners snips, cuts vey easy. Anything thicker I would use double sided tape with a wood template with a disposable flush trimp bit I dont care about and rout the glass on the router table to make exact copies transfered to fiberglass....Done.

DSC00124.jpg

This is the piece of glass from HD.

DSC00096.jpg

Archived