Second Skin Audio

burning coils or glue?

I have 2 t1 12s the new models with 800 watt rms on a t2500.1bd the amp was tuned with an o scope. I've had the subs for a month now no problems but also not playing it too loud, like 20 or 25 when I know it distorts at a little over 30, this morning I turned it up to see what they could do and after about half a song I smelt this really bad burning smell. Problem is idk what the difference in smell is between burnt glue and burning the coils. I turned it down as soon as I smelt it tho and then after I let the car sit for a few minutes with the windows closed I went to the back and the smell was lingering. Thanks for the help in advance guys. Just want to know if I'm pushing these subs too hard or its just the glue curing all the way

1995 Blazer lt 4dr

2 t1d412s

1 t2500.1bd

4 polk audio door speakers

2 dash speakers(coming soon)

1 amp to run my mids and highs(coming soon)

the coil itself burning is not generally the issue. if you can smell it, it means turn it down. If you let the smell get more and more intense is when you can run into problems. depending on the glue they use in the windings, it has a temp where it will melt and dissolve which will cause the coil to unwind and you will end up with a birds nest. other is burning tinsel leads which i doubt.

did you do the HU with the oscope? then the amp?

plus that is WAY to much power for them probably since that amp will do about 3k.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

I smelt this really bad burning smell.

That's burning coil lol

Yes everything was at 0 when oscoping it, hu distorts at 33 so I don't turn it up past 30 and the sub control on the hu was 10/10 so we know the highest it can go without distorting I usually keep the sub control at 3/10 when listening to music so I can hear the lyrics but this morning I turned the subs to 10/10 and the volume to 30 and thata when the smell happened so they shouldn't be distorting at all I mean is it just too much power to push those coils?

1995 Blazer lt 4dr

2 t1d412s

1 t2500.1bd

its just to much power, when you send a woofer so much power it will max out at a certain level then the additional power just turns into heat.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

Ok lol thanks guys :) ill just keep the sub control at 3 till I find some subs that can take more power

1995 Blazer lt 4dr

2 t1d412s

1 t2500.1bd

I would have to ask my buddy at the shop, I don't remember lol he had the oscope cuz I don't have a dd1 or anything

1995 Blazer lt 4dr

2 t1d412s

1 t2500.1bd

You could "wire up", depending where your at now???

I ran the same subs, on a 2500bdcp for over a year. One issue that I caused. Other than that, not a problem.

What's your enclosure like? And like I mentioned above, what impedance are you showing the amp?

You turned the sub control to 10.... That means you were distorting it,... Basically its like bass boost, NEVER USE IT.

Also, wire the subs to a diffferent ohm load for less power and insurance that your subs will last alot longer than if you were running them with alot more power than rated

2007 Volvo S40 2.4i (no turbo :( )(Soon XS Power D2400) Stock battery for nowRockford Fosgate 4 gaugeAudioque 6.5" Mid Bass (front)Rockford Fosgate T1 Tweets (front)Rockford Fosgate T2 6.5" Mids (rear)Rockford Fosgats T600-4 (Mids and highs)Rockford Fosgate P3001Fi SSD 12" with PSI recone, building box<p>400 watts, 139.3 @ 42 hz , in the kick window open. Build log!!http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/159148-2007-volvo-s40-audio-build-start-to-current-comment/

Archived