Basic Info on Eq's?

Alright this is pretty noobish I know but I have never had an external eq and was wondering whats the pros of having one, and if its really necissary, also does it bypass the radios eq settings? would it be btter used in SQ or SPL or both?

An equalizer will allow you to fine tune the way you want your system will sound. They are usually more exact than the eq that is in your hu. It helps in sq a fair amount but , I do not know if it will help with spl. Hope this answers most of your questions.

Edit : maybe Someone who is more knowledgable will give you more in depth answers

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

Depends on how nice an eq and a hu you have

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

most systems don't need them or most of the ppl that have them are misusing them. I personally have one (Audiocontrol EQL) b/c my HU is only 3 bands and 2V pre amp output. I see a lot of ppl that have them in there vehicles are either turning the frequency up too much or not enough. In a majority of installs I do, I find that an EQ allows the listener to tune the frequencies to there listening but most ppl don't really understand how certain frequencies are suppose to sound. similar to home theatre when someone turns the brightness up all the way thinking that b/c it's a bright picture that its a good picture. if you know what your are listening for than you can make your system sound the way you want but vise versa if you don't know than you can severely distort sound and cause speaker damage.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

if you have to ask you don't need one...

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

most systems don't need them or most of the ppl that have them are misusing them. I personally have one (Audiocontrol EQL) b/c my HU is only 3 bands and 2V pre amp output. I see a lot of ppl that have them in there vehicles are either turning the frequency up too much or not enough. In a majority of installs I do, I find that an EQ allows the listener to tune the frequencies to there listening but most ppl don't really understand how certain frequencies are suppose to sound. similar to home theatre when someone turns the brightness up all the way thinking that b/c it's a bright picture that its a good picture. if you know what your are listening for than you can make your system sound the way you want but vise versa if you don't know than you can severely distort sound and cause speaker damage.

That last part is exactly what I did. I had to accept I'm not experienced enough to have it cause I boosted the high frequencies all the way up and after a month blew my door speakers. I don't really see the point in them anyways now that most headunits have them built in.

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows

I have a fosgate symmetry with 28 band left and right EQ. I always cut unwanted frequencies with it, never boosted any. Your better to use sound deadener, and speaker placement first. Then look to things like if you need to reverse polarity on tweeters if they are too bright. Then worry about eq'ing.

Archived