Kicker Haters - Please Enter!

I will admit, even in a good box, the cvr doesn't have good sq, it gets loud and what not, but when playing SQ songs, the bass is muffled.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Okay, so I have read every post, and I appreciate all of you opinions. While some of them I must disagree with. The biggest one being that Kicker subs can not get low, or sound good. Yes, I totally agree that their subs are not top of the line, but what exactly would make them all sound bad, and not get loud, no matter what enclosure they were in? I remember hearing that crap a few years ago, so I set out to prove it wrong, and did.

In case you never seen it, I built a box for 3 L5 12's, and put a DC 5.0K on them. They got VERY loud, VERY low, and to this day is still the best sounding bass I have ever heard.

Again, not the best subs, and I never said they were. But ANY half-way decent sub has the ability to get loud and sound good, it is all in the install and the enclosure. Period. Kicker or not. Hell Sony Explodes can sound good, if in the right box.

Anyway it's hard to tell from vids that it sounds good, but you can definitely tell they were getting "down low". 150+ on music. Box tuned at 33hz. And other members here can attest to the SQ.

Again, I am not promoting them, hell I agree with most of you. Just had to show these, cause they could "get low and sound good". A SUBS ABILITY TO GET LOW TRULY DEPENDS ON TWO MAIN THINGS: IT'S FS, AND THE ENCLOSURE IT IS IN. Period. Kicker or not.

EDIT* I have never used nor heard the CVX's so I won't comment directly about them. But IMO, they have the ability as well. I truly believe most of the problem is usually the box.
Also, all this and I'm not even gonna be using Kicker subs myself! (Well sorta, I am building custom 4 Solo XXX 15's using Solo X 18 motors)
But the reason isn't the sound, it's the gap in power handling.

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

nothing bad about kicker from me but i needed to comment in this thread

pretty sure the shocker sig is the strongest ferrite motor

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

nothing bad about kicker from me but i needed to comment in this thread

pretty sure the shocker sig is the strongest ferrite motor

Any info on said motor?

Sounds very interesting...

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

Well, I may say my Kicker didn't have good sq(I'm picky), I thought it still sounded good for what it was, people who heard it were surprised as hell. It got low too, I could play 25hz decently from being in my trunk, and after selling it and the box to my friend who has an suv, it plays 25hz with authority, and still hold its ground on high bass.

Build a good box, and feed it clean power, and Kickers will do great. Though I do think they are overpriced new, but you always find them dirt cheap on craiglist lol

Here's a video of my SINGLE CVR12 on a Kenwood KAC 9104D at 2 ohms(900 rms)

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

DSC00274.jpg

decent picture of the motor.

d_a_v_i_d or however his name is made has a build with two of these motors

Brandon15zzz has one of these motors as well

and my teammates have about 4 between them. they weigh a shit ton

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

I've always heardthe solo x 18 was the stongest ferrite motor. My first real build was 2 cvr 12s sealed on a 04kx1200.1. Id buy another 1200 if I had a chance but the subs kept burnin leads.

Used to have a loud truck

2009 Corvette Z06, H/C/I, 150 shot, g force tune, 730rwhp/690rwtq

2013 F-150 limited, MPT Tune, leveled on 35"s

I personally found that Kicker, MTX, Orion, Lanzar quality started to drop in the mid 90's when car audio started to fade. Kicker rocked up until that point in opinion. As others have stated the Warhorse amp is in iits own category. So it's not that I hate Kicker, I have just seen it turn into a swapmeet level product like many others.

lanzar was the shit ! I had some 15s back in 91. And kicker subs was alot beefier back the too. There old paper cone subs sounded amazing an got low. But those days are long gone. Damn it I'm old?

Well, I may say my Kicker didn't have good sq(I'm picky), I thought it still sounded good for what it was, people who heard it were surprised as hell. It got low too, I could play 25hz decently from being in my trunk, and after selling it and the box to my friend who has an suv, it plays 25hz with authority, and still hold its ground on high bass.

Build a good box, and feed it clean power, and Kickers will do great. Though I do think they are overpriced new, but you always find them dirt cheap on craiglist lol

Here's a video of my SINGLE CVR12 on a Kenwood KAC 9104D at 2 ohms(900 rms)

damn remind me to never buy that kinda car lol if one kicker 12 flexes the roof that easy I don't want to sport around in your ride for sure lol.

Okay, so I have read every post, and I appreciate all of you opinions. While some of them I must disagree with. The biggest one being that Kicker subs can not get low, or sound good. Yes, I totally agree that their subs are not top of the line, but what exactly would make them all sound bad, and not get loud, no matter what enclosure they were in? I remember hearing that crap a few years ago, so I set out to prove it wrong, and did.

In case you never seen it, I built a box for 3 L5 12's, and put a DC 5.0K on them. They got VERY loud, VERY low, and to this day is still the best sounding bass I have ever heard.

Again, not the best subs, and I never said they were. But ANY half-way decent sub has the ability to get loud and sound good, it is all in the install and the enclosure. Period. Kicker or not. Hell Sony Explodes can sound good, if in the right box.

Anyway it's hard to tell from vids that it sounds good, but you can definitely tell they were getting "down low". 150+ on music. Box tuned at 33hz. And other members here can attest to the SQ.

Again, I am not promoting them, hell I agree with most of you. Just had to show these, cause they could "get low and sound good". A SUBS ABILITY TO GET LOW TRULY DEPENDS ON TWO MAIN THINGS: IT'S FS, AND THE ENCLOSURE IT IS IN. Period. Kicker or not.

EDIT* I have never used nor heard the CVX's so I won't comment directly about them. But IMO, they have the ability as well. I truly believe most of the problem is usually the box.

Also, all this and I'm not even gonna be using Kicker subs myself! (Well sorta, I am building custom 4 Solo XXX 15's using Solo X 18 motors)

But the reason isn't the sound, it's the gap in power handling.

why not show a video testing output on a terrmlab meter at 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50hz, then we can see how linear they are :). Throw an RTA into the equatio, and see where it maps.

Throwing power at a lower power sub you can force them to play whatever you want. run them at recommended RMS.

I've done all this already, but dont really care one way or another, just would really rather see someone test them with concrete data rather then..."o to my ear they play everything"

Also play something articulate, rather then slowed music that has next to no dynamics.

Archived