1999 Chevrolet Blazer - Stereo Integrity, Ground Zero, Soundstream

So it's known that Tantric subs have a certain smell. Ok, I could look past that, IF my coil wasn't also heating up. Something is wrong here, and pretty damn sure it's past the speaker wires going to the box.

Idea right now is that the high moving mass, in combination with my small box and proximity to the roof, isn't allowing the coil to cool properly. Murphy has offered to build me a drop-in with one less spider and simply swap it out with the one I have, which is pretty awesome. I told him to wait, I'm still thinking about a C pillar wall. Have to measure and see what I can do. Don't have the spare cash to move the amps/batteries/etc to the back right now, so amp rack has to stay, which means it might not work yet. The amp rack is basically as far back as the seats though, so I would have had to clear that anyway, so I think I have to work around that regardless.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

So it's known that Tantric subs have a certain smell. Ok, I could look past that, IF my coil wasn't also heating up. Something is wrong here, and pretty damn sure it's past the speaker wires going to the box.

Idea right now is that the high moving mass, in combination with my small box and proximity to the roof, isn't allowing the coil to cool properly. Murphy has offered to build me a drop-in with one less spider and simply swap it out with the one I have, which is pretty awesome. I told him to wait, I'm still thinking about a C pillar wall. Have to measure and see what I can do. Don't have the spare cash to move the amps/batteries/etc to the back right now, so amp rack has to stay, which means it might not work yet. The amp rack is basically as far back as the seats though, so I would have had to clear that anyway, so I think I have to work around that regardless.

Need wire...I gotcha.. Be better for your failing tailgate anyway

Team Deadly Hertz

Ampere Audio/SHCA/Singer/ XS POWER

Need wire...I gotcha.. Be better for your failing tailgate anyway

Thanks bro, but not right now. If I do it I'm gonna do it right, so I'm gonna need more than just wire. But I appreciate it.

And hell yeah about the tailgate. Although, I'm also thinking about maybe just a simple ported two 15's setup, no wall.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

Did this today. Didn't have the USACi CD or any tones for that matter, so just played that same song that was heating up the coil before. Pretty sure it's right at or damn near my peak anyway:

72DA726F-5534-447E-AF6C-6275E93F87E7_zps

This is what it was with the sub level at -2 (where the coil doesn't get super hot):

011EA4B0-3A0D-4335-90E3-C3199D66CD4F_zps

First off: Love the build. Different and solid. I've had a few Tantrics do some work on my kidneys in a regular cab Chevy Colorado. Got way louder than they had the right to.

Something I read made me wonder though- did you say you set the gain with the vehicle off? If so, wouldn't the amp be seeing less voltage from your electrical (12.7ish vs 14ish)?

When I set my gains, I do it with the vehicle running (because that's when I'm listening to the system anyway) and I set it with a 0db / full wave. That way I KNOW that everything is clean. If all is well in sub and amp world, I may adjust up a tiny bit and check everything again.

Just a thought.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

What is hot? Have you used a temp gun?

Your running over 2,000 watts through that coil. A 1 percent inefficiency is 200 watts in heat. That's as hot as two 100 watt lightbulbs.

You could get to 150 degrees before you hurt the coil, and that is way too hot to touch by hand.

Maybe that is just how hot this insanely large speaker and motor runs.

I would get a temp gun and see if it just continues to climb in temperature as it plays or if it plateaus at a temp that is too hot to touch but not damaging to the speaker.

I have seen three builds in person throwing almost 3x the power or more than the subs are rated for to hds, hdds, and shds. They all took it like champs

I just haven't come across them I guess... Everyone running tantric that I come across must not know how to set gains or something I guess idk.. Just saying from what I see, I think the sub is the problem. I hope I'm wrong though

Your wrong...They all smell until broken in..yes you were rude.. And passive aggressive is still bashing..

No they do not lol. They smell from the day you first get them playing, and keep smelling. 20k on 2 SHD's? seems too good to be true.

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

What is hot? Have you used a temp gun?

Your running over 2,000 watts through that coil. A 1 percent inefficiency is 200 watts in heat. That's as hot as two 100 watt lightbulbs.

You could get to 150 degrees before you hurt the coil, and that is way too hot to touch by hand.

Maybe that is just how hot this insanely large speaker and motor runs.

I would get a temp gun and see if it just continues to climb in temperature as it plays or if it plateaus at a temp that is too hot to touch but not damaging to the speaker.

Math is > you, 200 is 10% of 2000 but I still think you have the right idea coils are going to get hot to the touch and still be ok.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I have seen three builds in person throwing almost 3x the power or more than the subs are rated for to hds, hdds, and shds. They all took it like champs

I just haven't come across them I guess... Everyone running tantric that I come across must not know how to set gains or something I guess idk.. Just saying from what I see, I think the sub is the problem. I hope I'm wrong though

Your wrong...They all smell until broken in..yes you were rude.. And passive aggressive is still bashing..

No they do not lol. They smell from the day you first get them playing, and keep smelling. 20k on 2 SHD's? seems too good to be true.
Then why don't mine?

Used to have a loud truck

2009 Corvette Z06, H/C/I, 150 shot, g force tune, 730rwhp/690rwtq

2013 F-150 limited, MPT Tune, leveled on 35"s

Archived