Second Skin Audio

Too much airspace?

cgallmore

I ordered the obsidian 15 d4 subs and built the box that is 4.05 ft^3 but in the site they recommend 2.5-3.75ft^3. How will the extra airspace affect the performance of the subs? Is it something that I should take the extra time to build a new box or just leave it how it is?

depends on how much power you will have going to it vs its RMS rating. The larger box will decrease cone control but also allow you to extend into lower frequencies. You can tune on the high end of the recommended range due to the increased low end response or you can try to decrease your enclosure size. But again, its goign to depend on how much power you are running to it.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

what are you tuned to ?

I'm kinda on the fence with this one.

On one side i don't want to tell someone to break their gear, because that's is what can happen running over rated in a larger than recommended enclosure. And I have never ran these subs.

On the other side, if it was me I would test it out at low volume and see if there is excessive cone movement whle creeping the volume up that may cause it to bottom out

Alternatiely your could add some 45s to the box to decrease the volume a bit.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

That's after the displacement and I'm running 800 watts rms and it's rated for 600 rms

Enable your subsonic filter and set it a little below tuning, it's not too much power and neither you have exceeded their volume recommendation too far, so just be careful at first, if you don't like the sound you can always load the enclosure to reduce the net volume or extend the port, no need to rebuild for that reason, if it was too short then that's harder to deal with.

what are you tuned to ?

I'm kinda on the fence with this one.

On one side i don't want to tell someone to break their gear, because that's is what can happen running over rated in a larger than recommended enclosure. And I have never ran these subs.

On the other side, if it was me I would test it out at low volume and see if there is excessive cone movement whle creeping the volume up that may cause it to bottom out

Alternatiely your could add some 45s to the box to decrease the volume a bit.

How do you calculate displacement on the 45s? I've read online that they are underrated subs. And I did the preorder for the subs and on the site they had their old data up and they just updated the new numbers and I guess the new version needs less space

Archived