OFC wire appearance (expanding my knowledge)

Just bought some speaker wire and it says its OFC. Yet the wire is a bronze color. The majority of "OFC" stuff i see has a silver finish to the actual wire (does that just mean it has been tinned?). I was wondering if all OFC wire has this silver finish, or can it also be the actual color of copper (bronze)?

Thanks for helping out a noob

OFc can be the typical copper color, welding wire is like that. It looks like copper, it's 100% copper.

2010 Honda Civic LX / Deck: Kenwood DDX371 / Front Highs: Crescendo RTS-1 / Front Mids: Silver Flute 6.5's / 4 channel: DC Audio 90.4 / Sub: Fi 15in SP4v2 / Sub amp: Taramps HD 5000 / Power wire: Knukonceptz OFC 1/0 / Deadener: Audio Technix 60 mil / Batteries: XS Power D5100R / Rear bank: TBD / Alternator: Singer 240a hairpin

It doesn't have to be tinned to have a sliver finish, I believe it has to do with the process used to make the wire. Silver tinned is great for places that are going to see the elements, like big three wires or anything under the hood. but for speaker wire what you have is perfect.

2010 Honda Civic LX / Deck: Kenwood DDX371 / Front Highs: Crescendo RTS-1 / Front Mids: Silver Flute 6.5's / 4 channel: DC Audio 90.4 / Sub: Fi 15in SP4v2 / Sub amp: Taramps HD 5000 / Power wire: Knukonceptz OFC 1/0 / Deadener: Audio Technix 60 mil / Batteries: XS Power D5100R / Rear bank: TBD / Alternator: Singer 240a hairpin

The "silver" finish is a process of plating the copper to make it more corrosion resistant. Because bare copper likes to weather.

The bronze color is the color of copper itself. If you want to know whether it's CCA or not take some sandpaper and sand the wire strands. Pure OFC will remain copper all the way through while CCA will have the copper layer removed and you can see the aluminum wire underneath.

You can also tell CCA vs OFC by looking down at the wire through the top. Pure copper looks like copper. Tinned OFC looks tinned until you look at it straight on then it looks like copper. CCA look like copper from the side but silvery from the top

Knu's Kollosus Kable is OFC, but is silver-y as all Hell.

Zeke

'14

2003 Chevy Monte Carlo SS

MONTEside00030001.jpg

Vehicle Details & Mod List: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/1703-chevrolet-monte-carlo-ss/

Audio Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/143276-2003-chevy-monte-carlo-ss-audio-build-ib-build

Pioneer FH-P8000BT

Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1

Fi IB3 (Two 12", 2-ohm SVC)

RF T400-2 & T500-1bdCP

MechMan S Series 240A

XS Power D3400 & D975

311-vector-logo_zps0d152f73.png sutliffSig_zpsb1df26dd.png

Just bought some speaker wire and it says its OFC. Yet the wire is a bronze color. The majority of "OFC" stuff i see has a silver finish to the actual wire (does that just mean it has been tinned?). I was wondering if all OFC wire has this silver finish, or can it also be the actual color of copper (bronze)?

Thanks for helping out a noob

last time i bought ofc speaker wire i was told it was a waster of money lol my ass got flamed for it

Archived