Solo X 15 (V.2) Sub-woofer build log - Finished pics & parameters p.5

Hey friends, just wanted to share my most recent build with you all, my first Solo X 15. This was a challenging sub to build, but a lot of fun. Big thanks goes out to David, Rusty, and everyone who had a hand in helping make this happen (too many to remember). A lot of people stepped up and helped out, but none more than the man himself, David Moore@PSi. He and Rusty answered every question I could come up with, and without them both, this would not have happened, period. So thanks guys, it really means a lot!

So I started with an idea to build a Solo X 15. Little did I know it had already been done, multiple times by PSi. (Check it out) So, I began talking to David about doing some for my PT, but had a problem with how they were going to end up. See, until now, the most any Solo X has been built for daily on music was ~2K, and the reason was simple: the coil. Kicker did some really nice things with the design of this motor, but they screwed themselves by only using a slim 4 layer flat-wound coil in a tight gap. 5K RMS is a fantasy, and no Solo X will last long with that much power. So I got to thinking... how could I improve this?

So while thinking, I started buying up motors. I found three right off the bat. But one was a little rough, with a scratched up bottom plate, and no motor boot. And when I removed the frame, the top plate shifted on me. This wound up being a blessing in disguise.

100_4986.jpg

100_4599.jpg

To fix the shift, the top plate had to come off.

100_4651.jpg

Once it was off, I got an idea. And after talking to the right people, my idea was verified. The idea was simple: cut the gap a little bigger to fit an 8-layer coil. So I took it (top plate) to my local Harley shop, to have their machinist cut out the gap, drill the new bolt holes, and cut the center of the new frame, so it will sit down on the top plate flush, the way I want. When everything was done, it looked like this.

100_4940.jpg

100_4941.jpg

100_4938.jpg

So now they were almost ready to be re-married, but first, I wanted to do a little work to improve the looks. And, I had an idea on securing the top plate. So...

100_5084-1.jpg

100_4984.jpg

100_5005.jpg

100_5006.jpg

100_5010.jpg

See what I'm doing here?

100_5132.jpg

Notice I did away with all the old unnecessary bolt holes.

100_5135.jpg

100_5134.jpg

And finally, she's ready to go back together.

100_5140.jpg

100_5149.jpg

Then once I got it down right, and all 4 posts secured, time for more body work!

100_5150.jpg

100_5152.jpg

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And after several hours of sanding, filling, etc, this is what I got.

100_5154.jpg

Then some color

100_5162.jpg

For the frame as well

100_5167.jpg

100_5168.jpg

Hmm don't she look sexy!

100_5172.jpg

So then I joined the frame and top plate. I chose to use bolts/ lock washers and glue. She ain't going anywhere.

100_5185.jpg

100_5186.jpg

100_5188.jpg

Then I decided to add screen to protect the coil. It is aluminum window screen, I just cut it and added some black paint.

100_5189.jpg

Then glued them in place, one by one.

100_5198.jpg

Then once that was finished, it was time to address the bottom plate.

100_5254.jpg

100_5287.jpg

Ready for paint

100_5314.jpg

And the bottom plate is painted!

100_5342.jpg

100_5356.jpg

So now after looking long and hard, I finally found my coils! We are ready to put this beast together!

100_5627.jpg

More on the way...

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

One the left is the 4 layer, on the right is the 8 layer for this build. Lets compare!

100_5636.jpg

100_5635.jpg

For the ones going in my car, I will use the 4 layer coils. But that's another build :)

100_5630.jpg

Now let's see how well the 8 layer fits in it's new home..

100_5626.jpg

100_5622.jpg

So now onto the suspension. I used a linear roll quad, spaced TC sounds spider pack. Bottom two were first, after cleaning the frame.

100_5741.jpg

100_5730.jpg

100_5732.jpg

You may have noticed the nylon band used to glue the bottom side of the top spiders. That worked perfect!

But before glue, I soldered the leads.

100_5751.jpg

Sorry, didn't take a lot of pics of the cone going on, I had my hands full. But here it is right after, when I was doing the direct 8g leads.

100_5752.jpg

Ready to rock and roll! But of course I had to wait on more glue to finish it up.

100_5786.jpg

Here we go, CA on the spiders and some nice rubberized stuff for the surround.

100_5800.jpg

And now to dry

100_5804.jpg

100_5815.jpg

Coil check shows exactly what they did before, awesome!

100_5823.jpg

And that is where she sits, still waiting for the dust cap logo to be printed and installed. So stay tuned, I will update this with final pics, specs, and numbers. As well as some vids in action. So thanks again to all involved, and keep watching, this is only the beginning for me!

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Came out great! Nice write up as well! Some good info.

Firm believer in letting my cars do my talking!

You can't rush quality, it doesn't happen overnight. Quality takes time and dedication, but the end results more than pay for it.

"Black Pearl" Build Thread

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/67183-1985-buick-regal-limited-build-log/page-1

Much respect for your dedication and work ethic. Everything about this build is sexy as hell. I'm stoked to see this things perform, bet you will feel like a proud dad first time you hear them rumble. Lol.

DAMN That ass on that ti basket is super sexy!!

*Hummer H3*

HeadUnit

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

Mids and Highs

8-CT Sounds Pro 8" 8ohm

4-CT Sounds Pro Tweeters

Amplifiers

1-CT Sounds 125.4

1-CT Sounds 60.4

1-CT Sounds 7000.1

Electrical

3-Runs of 1/0 CT Sounds

8-XS Power D3100

3-Iraggi 300 amp Alternators

Subwoofers

4-SQ Hdc3 15" Subwoofers

(Soon to be 4 15" Ct Sounds EXO)

As always, I love seeing you work. It's a real pleasure to watch you do your thing, keep it up. We all like this kind of stuff. Can't wait to see some PT Cruiser devastation with the others ;)

Thanks man, me too!!!

They look badass. How much do u have invested in each sub? I. Have allways loved kicker square subs the looks anyways but circle di sound better lol

Thanks. Well, I have over $600 alone in parts, and machine shop labor. Plus the cost of the sub to get the motor.

Plus a lot of time spent finding the parts, and doing all the work.

It is not easy, as this beast is over 100 lbs. But worth it in the end, at least so far.

Much respect for your dedication and work ethic. Everything about this build is sexy as hell. I'm stoked to see this things perform, bet you will feel like a proud dad first time you hear them rumble. Lol.

Thank you, and yes sir I will!

I kinda already do, just cant wait to finish it off, and really get some good pictures!

Then it's box building time!

DAMN That ass on that ti basket is super sexy!!

Yes sir, I agree! Thanks!

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Thats shit is clean... Might have to send you some motors in for a make up session when I'm ready to make them pretty. :D

My Build Log- T E A M S U N D O W N A U D I O -

2013 DbDrag WF SS1-2 - 5th Place 154.6db

2013 MECA Mod3 CA State Final Champ 153.4db