Second Skin Audio

Hard Maple Woofer Box?

Soccerballzs

Have a lot of 2 inch thick maple laying in cabinet shop. I thank I am going to try the box out of maple first. If it sounds crappy I am going to use in Garage for sub box! Not sure about poplar very soft wood. Also have walnut and ash along with hickory and some purple heart. Been making boxes for 32 years now never tried hard maple butcher block.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

Have a lot of 2 inch thick maple laying in cabinet shop. I thank I am going to try the box out of maple first. If it sounds crappy I am going to use in Garage for sub box! Not sure about poplar very soft wood. Also have walnut and ash along with hickory and some purple heart. Been making boxes for 32 years now never tried hard maple butcher block.

while poplar is not a very hard wood, you have to consider it qualities as a tone wood. sometimes great resonance can work out to your benefit more than just being very stiff.

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

But on the flipside: will the resonances be at any sort of worrying frequency? If it has some sort of funky harmonic at 300hz and you are crossed at 60hz. I'm not convinced it would cause any problem

Will be cool as hell, but have fun paying alot.....

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Gotta do some cool inlays, somehting small but sweet, maybe logo corresponding with amp or woofer choice out of purple heart mentioned above or another rare wood.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Why not try birch? That is what I used because a lot of home speakers/drums are made from it. (Good tonal properties) It's super stiff and heavy as hell. The stuff I got was furniture grade though so I couldn't bring myself to carpet it and I stained it, looks pretty nice. My box is 8 cubes and I think i spent like 100-150 on wood and had some left over I used for an amp rack.

I am by no means a woodworker though, I just wanted to use something better than MDF.

Archived