Second Skin Audio

Sundown SA-12: less powerful than I tought?

Golitan11

Actually, after looking at your box, it is either deceiving or your box is not 30 by 14 by 17. 14, I can see, but the 30x17 part...looks much larger!

Instead of throwing darts blindfolded why don't we get actual numbers on the box dimensions like i asked for 42 pages ago. It wont make a damn bit of difference if we are guessing and having people come in with torres numbers with the wrong number of common wall and using older version of torres which had bugs.

SMH

I agreed and one common off isn't shit. Old Torres vs the new, my point is the common walls, ...I'm at work and don't have access to the new version. So bite a dick.

LOL, ok. Just plug whatever you want in the calculator then, Im sure those fields arent important at all. I mean, if you don't have access to a saw, might as well use a hammer right?

Yes your logic is on point. Old calc vs new calc...hammer vs saw. Right...

10501650_10203332501847103_1859383749711

Blown

All i am saying is, why is it so hard for the OP to give the right dimensions instead of saying that it's "close" to something. An the old calc, depending on which one you have will change port area by like 4" per cube simply by replacing any number with the same number. That is a huge bug.

don't take my statement personal. I have no beef with you.

My box is exactly what they entered in Torres. 30" x 14" x 17" with a 3" port, 36" long. I said that on my previous post.

Your sketchup calculation of net airspace in post #46 is correct, your overall box spec is 2 cubes net @34.7Hz according to my own calculations, double baffle, sub and port displacements factored in.

I have seen Torres software give very different results in different PCs, that's for both the old and the new versions, probably that particular issue is related to the .net framework version being used.

I lied, tuned to 34.99 hz, but your port is way too fucking big for 1 12", 19.35" per foot cubed, that woofer is damn near free-airing in that box, hence why your output sucks.

You should refrain from posting incorrect info like this. . .might want to study up on how a port works.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

A lot of sound pressure "outside" the vehicle" has a lot to do with the cars accoustics and enclosure tuning. I'm willing to bet that 35 Hz in your car would rumble your chest harder then your friends civic at 35hz. It may not "sound" as loud because your bass is loading off your entire cabin instead of resonating in the trunk,but it will sound way cleaner giving the "not as loud" situation. I have a single 15 tuned to 30hz ,it does not sound as loud as a friend with two 12"s in a trunk but....145>143db

Not to mention,at 2ft^3 @ 19square inches p.ft^3 should play 35hz pretty damn loud. Btw I have had the hifonics brz amps before & I can tell you the one you are running will drop your voltage like hell especially at one ohm which can kill your peak output and they are very easy to clip. Make sure your subsonic filter isn't set higher then 33-30hz. or buy a (cresendo,sundown,aq/sq) amp. You will not be disappointed.

Short answer,just buy a nice 1000watt amp,have your sub load off the hatch and port load off the roof,I have done many matrix/vibes and they love sub back port up!

Archived