Sonic Electronix

One of fatmats grades of deadener is called MegaMat and that is in fact a butyl based deadener. Their super cheap stuff is crap but the MegaMat isn't bad.

FI BL18 Build Log: CLICK HERE!!

2003 Explorer Sport:

FI BL18

SoundQubed 2200 at 0.7ohm

Pioneer DEH-2500UI

Pioneer 6 x 8s

Rockford Fosgate 6 x 9s

5 ft^3 box at 35hz

Lots of Mega Mat

SkyHighCarAudio_zpse6b4e501.png3abb2365-8d29-422d-a446-efa7a74b8dba_zps70e62980.jpgFILogo_zps400b37c1.jpg

yes. Used it in my last build which was a 2009 cobalt. I did the roof, both doors (was a coupe), rear deck and the whole trunk. I was quite happy with the way it turned out. Almost no shaking afterwards. Also, when I cranked the system then went outside the car and shut the doors, it REALLY cut the sound. Then I opened the door and heard the bass/highs flow out.

I also used 'great stuff' expanding foam (window one - least expanding one) in the roof around the edges and in the trunk lid between the cracks.

I know it is less expensive than dynamat, but I think it does just as good a job. In terms of damping, it won't make much of a difference between fatmat/dynamat so long as the thickness is more or less the same (I believe both products are some type of butyl with foil on them so similar vibration damping properties on a sheet metal panel)

Did you buy yours from Amazon

no...bought it from ebay about 4 years ago, there was one seller in Canada so was relatively cheap. was actually cheaper than peel n seal at my local home depot lol. Only reason I reused it in my current STI build is because I had it sitting in my garage. But for the price I see it at now, I'd go for something different.

I never had issues with it peeling off, and it never smelled after install, but I wouldn't be surprised if it peeled off in extreme heat.

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp (+-1200RMS@3ohms)

and lol to the ppl saying you will breathe asphalt fumes. I work for an asphalt company, the product has to be REAL hot before it gives off significant fumes..like way hotter than it will get on a summer day in your car. So stop with the asphalt fume bullshit and give some GOOD advice. OP try a well known, widely used product like the others are suggesting AKA krukonceptz deadener, secondskin, etc. Even if it costs slightly more (which it may not even) you know they work since many on the forum have used it and are satisfied.

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp (+-1200RMS@3ohms)

You say good advice...do you even read your own posts? You don't even know what deadening is so it seems the person who should sit back and listen. Just because you push papers at an asphalt company is hardly an authority

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Archived