voltage issue

I am running a audiopipe apsm 1500 at 1 ohm. 90 amp alt, big 3, stock battery up front, regular deep cycle in the back. All 1/0, one run positive only fron to back.

When i start the car i read 14.4v at the amp. Turn on amp(no music) drops to 13.8v. Play full tilt and the voltage drops as low as 11.1v.

What is causing this? Is this audiopipe so unefficient that is pulls too much juice?

Btw i have 2 c&d 75ah batteries on the way to replace my batteries. Think this will help?

What do you think?

Thanks for any input

Your alternator is simply not large enough to power all of the vehicle accessories, power your amplifier, and keep two batteries charged. Adding two more batteries is not a long term solution as they will typically require between 7 and 10 amps to maintain a surface charge - more current that has to be delivered by your already taxed alternator.

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

Your alternator is simply not large enough to power all of the vehicle accessories, power your amplifier, and keep two batteries charged. Adding two more batteries is not a long term solution as they will typically require between 7 and 10 amps to maintain a surface charge - more current that has to be delivered by your already taxed alternator.

My car is very standard. These voltage tests are taken while no other accesories are being used(which there is only headlights and a/c). Not much power is being used. Most of that alternators power is available to the amp. Does that make a difference? And i will not be adding batteries. I will be replacing/swapping them out with agm batteries i just purchased.

The batteries are will help but you really want a H.O. alt. Until you get the alt put your batteries on a quality charger at least every few days. I try to plug mine in daily to keep them topped off.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

The batteries are will help but you really want a H.O. alt. Until you get the alt put your batteries on a quality charger at least every few days. I try to plug mine in daily to keep them topped off.

As you have stated about the alternator. I really did not think that my 95 amp alternator was not enough to power my audiopipe. I found a alternator that puts out 140amps at idle. Do you think that with my new batteries and alternator I would have room to upgrade my amp? The amp would be a crescendo bc2000

That Audiopipe is power hungry as hell, especially when clipping.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Who makes that alternator? Chanced are it will not do what it claims. Then youll be in the same boat.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Who makes that alternator? Chanced are it will not do what it claims. Then youll be in the same boat.

Singer 230a
singer Alts are awesome and will work

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

Archived