TheMonolith2001 Posted September 23, 2013 Report Posted September 23, 2013 So as of right now I am setup with a Fi Q 18, 8 cube box, 28hz. My goal was to play as low as possible more than anything. I love the way it sounds. No complaints or anything and it gets pretty damn loud but I want to build something else now I can swap in and out specifically for getting loud. To be more specific, I don't want to get into building a burp box, I still want to play music/run it daily I just want to get more volume! So far the following options sound appealing based on some research I have done so far: -Buy SSA XCON 18 - The recommended box is 7.65 cubes 30hz would this be good for this sub and my goals? - build box: End up with a complete separate sub/box I can swap out. OR How would the XCON handle being in my current box? it seems like it may be 0.25 cubes too big. -Stop wasting money and just build another box for Fi Q 18: Have to change sub out of box but I'll be doing it so rarely it doesn't really bother me. Since I am not changing amps or anything like that do you guys think just doing a box would be smarter? I have read that the XCON is quite a bit louder than the Q though. What kind of tuning/volume should I do? If I did like 7 cubes 33hz would that make sense for what I am trying to do?
skittlesRgood Posted September 23, 2013 Report Posted September 23, 2013 I'm pretty sure the xcon is just a Q with all the options. Play around with a new box for what you have. just take the opportunity to learn what works and what doesnt. make some big boxes, small boxes, big ports, small port, etc, etc. you'll learn the most this way. If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood. Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/ Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.
TheMonolith2001 Posted September 23, 2013 Author Report Posted September 23, 2013 Really? I thought that was the Icon. If that is true a box is for sure the way to go because I got all the options on mine! The thing is every time I have to cut a bunch of wood like this, I have to call in a bunch of favors and borrow a bunch of tools, I'd rather not keep pestering everyone I don't feel like I have a full enough understanding as to how to make a safe box in terms of volume relative to tuning either. I really can't afford to blow shit up! What if I just did like 2 15s or 2 18s on lower wattage subs? I probably don't have the room to pull off two 18s unless they where sealed but maybe some SA-15s or something? At least then I would be increasing cone area quite a bit.
TheMonolith2001 Posted September 23, 2013 Author Report Posted September 23, 2013 Just looked around the internet a bit and played with a few subs/box designs and two 18s is not happening without a wall build. I'm not really willing to go that far in terms of work or sacrificing my back seat. So I'm thinking an XCON 18 or two lower power 15s if I want to buy subs. Not totally sure what I would pick for 15s yet but all the major players have options I could use. Box is most economical though, anyone have some tuning suggestions? I actually already have that 7ft 33hz idea drawn up is why I asked about that.
STEALTH808 Posted September 23, 2013 Report Posted September 23, 2013 you think you are gonna gain anything worthwhile just switching from a Q to an xcon? think again. TEAM SUNDOWN HAWAIIHAWAIICARAUDIO.NET 150Db Club 160Db club in the future I see krakin as a threat
TheMonolith2001 Posted September 23, 2013 Author Report Posted September 23, 2013 Well not JUST from that, it would have to be an XCON AND a new enclosure. From what I have read the two subs are built quite a bit differently for quite different purposes. I saw some impedence/response graphs for each and while the Q is pretty much flat, the XCON was flat except for about 30ish-60ish where it was quite a bit more sensitive. Especially right around 40-50hz which as we all know is where a LOT of bass rhythms take place. Apparently that's up in the air now too though with what skittles said. They DO look like they have the same exact motor on there... The having two subs with two boxes I could easily switch out concept was what made it appealing in the beginning but after thinking about it I wouldn't really be changing them that often. This has pretty much become option number three. New box for new sound is most economical I just don't know where to start. I don't want to build something that breaks something/sounds like ass and I don't want to build something that is barely different after spending a bunch of money on materials. I plan to do this just like the box I have now with metal bracing/furniture grade birch wood/etc. Two 15s for more cone area seems to make more sense if I am trying to increase volume though. This introduces more questions however because when I started getting back into this I researched drivers that could take 1000-1500 watts and I need yet another box design so I am basically back to square one.
john253a Posted September 23, 2013 Report Posted September 23, 2013 why not 2x X15 on more power if you want low
zydrix Posted September 23, 2013 Report Posted September 23, 2013 Look into 2 C2 audio threatcon 2 15s. They seem like they can get low! An the output seems really good from a woofer of that price range. Can probably feed 2500 watts to a pair of them safely if u build a proper box an have your amp tuned with a DD-1 or an oscope. My build 98 s10 2.2 3 american bass HD 15s with psi soft parts. (on there way here) atomic at-3000.1 (soon) 146.2 outlaw @39hz., bad alt an bad batt when termed (old 2 12" build) alpine 6.5s in doors infinty 4x6s in dash. clarion cz201 HU. mechman 240a H/O alt stuff i still need. SHCA 2/0 wire SHCA 1/0 to 2/0 adapters Atomic AT-3000.1 Lots of sound deadner new mids an highs, still debating on what to do. A few Deka g31 batts.
White Lightning Posted September 23, 2013 Report Posted September 23, 2013 Burp boxes and sounding good while playing low should not go hand in hand ... Major difference in test tones and playing music ... You want to burp ... tune to or around 40 to 56 htz ... You want to play low and loud ... you are cool where you are at, just bump up on amplifier power ... You could build an enclosure that has a removeable tuning port ... from 28 htz to 40 htz Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado "The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually" Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet) Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch
graham0599 Posted September 23, 2013 Report Posted September 23, 2013 I'd look into 2 15" if you can afford it My 350z build- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174424-2008-350z-build/page-2?hl=%2B350z+%2Bbuild#entry2605678
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.