voltage drop when load is applied with HO alternator

Well, I'm trying again to fix this issue. car BMW e46 325i

So right now I have 260amp alternator with a xs power D3100 battery(fully charged). I also replaced belt and tensioner pulley. At 2k rpm voltage stays at 14V (normal for my car.)

When ever I apply a small load, like rolling windows up, my voltage would dip down to 13.7 for a second and back to 14v. If I turn the heater on, headlights and fog lights, voltage goes down to 13.4-13.6. even if I keep my rpms@2k. WHY?

If I understand it correctly, at 2k rpm alternator puts out 260amp, so a minor load should not cause a voltage drop. It doesn't look like a belt slip, since the voltage stays constant while I drive. Only when load is applied it does this.

I tried using different alternator (stock) and it was doing the same exact thing. So does this mean I have a bad relay somewhere? or wtf is the problem?

I had HO alternator tested and it was 100% functional. I was told that I need to get a better belt wrap to fix this issue. But seeing how even the stock was doing this, belt wrap is not an issue.

What else can it be?

They are saying that the pcm/ecm actually controls the voltage and is telling the alternator what voltage it wants under those conditions, there isn't anything wrong with the ecm/pcm it's just the way they behave. I believe the theory behind commanding a lower charge voltage is that it will lower the strain on the alt and resulting in better "fuel mileage"

Brandon

2000 Furd Ranger supercab 4x4

System:

welding wire throughout the truck

USalts 390amp Hairpin

Juicebox in stock location

8 Banks of maxwell supercaps

2 American Bass Vfl 1100.1 wired to .35 each

2 Fi Audio Sp4 18's ( the DD sc 9918's smoked)

Pioneer radio with Soundstream PA mids Powered by a nice sized soundstream 2 channel

It's pronounced (dain-ja rain-ja) :ph34r:

2001 2 door focus

1 DD9918 SC 

well, when a window motor starts (any electric motor for that matter) you'll get a surge as the motor starts. Not to mention that I'm sure that the BMW didn't go overkill on the normal internal wiring...

Can you measure at the alt and verify?

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Archived