Trayten Posted October 6, 2013 Report Posted October 6, 2013 First off, can someone tell me how to upload pics to the site? I have a very big trunk and I just need some advice. One thing I need to know for sure, what are the different measurements in a box that I need to know? My dad and I are going to build a box, but this will be our first. If someone can just explain it that would be fine, we can figure out measurements fine I'm sure cause he's a carpenter so I don't think anything will really be over his head with numbers etc. I'll post pics of my car once I know how to lmao! Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me with uploading pics. I have them saved onto my comp already I just need to know how to get them on the site. Another question, are bigger boxes always better? I've heard that if you have a bigger box that your system is potentially a lot louder than a small box? Like I said, I have a pretty massive trunk so we were thinking that if it's better to build a box that we could pretty much build a box that's as big as my trunk. Looking forward to reading any replies cause I really need help with this and my last thread got no replies.. I need to have this done before it gets too cold outside, which will be very soon, so we're going to try to make this box as soon as we understand how to lol. Thanks. Vehicle: 1988 Cadillac Brougham Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS Head Unit Custom box built by me (designed by forum member g2shuck) (1) DC XL 15 (2) SQ q1-1200d (2) Crescendo PWX-6's. (more to come someday.)
slowfkncar Posted October 6, 2013 Report Posted October 6, 2013 2500rms=3.5ft^ at near 33hz If you check DC's website, they will show the requirements If you have to ask,i would say stick with the recommend enclosure, a bigger enclosure plays a big part in (output/response/power handling/tuning)ect.. Bigger *edit "enclosure" is not always better,in my case I will loose output with a bigger enclosure. At this point I am going to ask that you search and learn about enclosures,we may or may not help you but we deffinetly wont go answering questions that take 15 seconds to figure it out by searching. Good luck with your build and remember to use 0guage power cables,beefed up electricals & a REAL 2500watt amp that won't burn/blow your DC XL.(not the ones that claim 2500rms with a lousy 160amp fuse.
Trayten Posted October 7, 2013 Author Report Posted October 7, 2013 For starters I'm only going to be using a Soundqubed q1-1200d, so it will be under powered for a while till I have more money for another amp. I'm of course using 0 gauge. Also just from experience with any product out there, recommended by the manufacturer or dealer is not always best, so I rarely ever follow what they say cause someone out there, and in this case someone on the forum, knows whether I should use recommended box size or not. I've tried to learn about enclosures and all I see is a bunch of shit that doesn't seem relevant, on here I like how people actually explain it in a straight-forward way that a car audio noob can understand. Thanks for the little help you did offer though, but I probably won't be trying to learn online again, everything google has seems like crap to me. Anyone who can legit help a noob like me, seriously.. any help is welcomed, otherwise I might just have to learn by trial and error which would waste my time Vehicle: 1988 Cadillac Brougham Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS Head Unit Custom box built by me (designed by forum member g2shuck) (1) DC XL 15 (2) SQ q1-1200d (2) Crescendo PWX-6's. (more to come someday.)
CXHBumpin39 Posted October 7, 2013 Report Posted October 7, 2013 I have a DC level 4 15 with xl coils running on 2k watts rms in a 3 cu ft box tuned to 32 hz and it hits so maybe 3 to 3.5 cubes would be good and 32 hz or 33 is pretty decent in my opinion, good luck with the build
Trayten Posted October 7, 2013 Author Report Posted October 7, 2013 I have a DC level 4 15 with xl coils running on 2k watts rms in a 3 cu ft box tuned to 32 hz and it hits so maybe 3 to 3.5 cubes would be good and 32 hz or 33 is pretty decent in my opinion, good luck with the build Cool, thanks a lot for a legit reply. Just a question, if someone can answer this, is lets say 3 cubes, just 3 feet x 3 feet x 3 feet? If so, I've made all this way too hard By the way, anyone wanna help with what exactly "tuning" a box means? I'm not really understanding that part, so any help is welcomed! Vehicle: 1988 Cadillac Brougham Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS Head Unit Custom box built by me (designed by forum member g2shuck) (1) DC XL 15 (2) SQ q1-1200d (2) Crescendo PWX-6's. (more to come someday.)
Joe X Posted October 7, 2013 Report Posted October 7, 2013 You can give about 3.5 cubes net as long as you don't push much above rated power. The port is a resonator, it's resonance frequency is determined by the dimensions of the port and the net internal volume of the box, simply put, below that tuning frequency the box output will start declining fast (24dB/octave). Here is a plot (theoretical) to illustrate (output vs frequency), the violet curve is for some sub in a ported box tuned to around 35Hz (the yellow one is for the same sub in a sealed box): Look how output declines below about 35Hz.As you can see the port can give you the ability to play lower notes over sealed.
CleanSierra Posted October 7, 2013 Report Posted October 7, 2013 I have a DC level 4 15 with xl coils running on 2k watts rms in a 3 cu ft box tuned to 32 hz and it hits so maybe 3 to 3.5 cubes would be good and 32 hz or 33 is pretty decent in my opinion, good luck with the build Cool, thanks a lot for a legit reply. Just a question, if someone can answer this, is lets say 3 cubes, just 3 feet x 3 feet x 3 feet? If so, I've made all this way too hard By the way, anyone wanna help with what exactly "tuning" a box means? I'm not really understanding that part, so any help is welcomed! 3 ft by 3 ft by 3 ft is 23.76 cubic feet, so I don't know how you're calculating, but it was not the right idea. Welcome to the forum. Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
Tarball Posted October 7, 2013 Report Posted October 7, 2013 Welcome to the forums! Let me say with all due respect that I recommend you take the cold season and read, learn and ask questions - in that order - then build next year when it warms up again. Judging by the questions asked so far you aren't going to be able to put together a legit box before the temp drops unless someone knowledgeable does everything for you. Don't rush it!! Enjoy the hobby CURRENT SYSTEM: Alternator: Stock alt on mids/highs Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v Batteries: (2) XS D1400s Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks Headunit: 80-PRS Sub Amp: DC 5.0k Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal. Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4 Active Components: Mids RE XXX 6.5c Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar) Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab. Build Log If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db
Trayten Posted October 7, 2013 Author Report Posted October 7, 2013 You can give about 3.5 cubes net as long as you don't push much above rated power. The port is a resonator, it's resonance frequency is determined by the dimensions of the port and the net internal volume of the box, simply put, below that tuning frequency the box output will start declining fast (24dB/octave). Here is a plot (theoretical) to illustrate (output vs frequency), the violet curve is for some sub in a ported box tuned to around 35Hz (the yellow one is for the same sub in a sealed box): Look how output declines below about 35Hz.As you can see the port can give you the ability to play lower notes over sealed. Ok, thank you! I can't see that link from school, but from what I could see, you were saying that tuning the box consists of what it sounds like basically? The xx hz that a box is tuned to involves the notes it hits etc? I know that's probably not exactly spot on, but is that the general idea, so I can just build off of it from there? Vehicle: 1988 Cadillac Brougham Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS Head Unit Custom box built by me (designed by forum member g2shuck) (1) DC XL 15 (2) SQ q1-1200d (2) Crescendo PWX-6's. (more to come someday.)
Trayten Posted October 7, 2013 Author Report Posted October 7, 2013 Welcome to the forums! Let me say with all due respect that I recommend you take the cold season and read, learn and ask questions - in that order - then build next year when it warms up again. Judging by the questions asked so far you aren't going to be able to put together a legit box before the temp drops unless someone knowledgeable does everything for you. Don't rush it!! Enjoy the hobby Thank you! Don't worry, what you said doesn't hurt me any lol I know I'm a noob still so no worries dude. I've been asking some questions around and that's probably what I'll just keep doing. Just trying to basically figure everything out still, as you can see in this thread lol. It just sucks to have to go so long without any bump in my car, I hate it! Vehicle: 1988 Cadillac Brougham Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS Head Unit Custom box built by me (designed by forum member g2shuck) (1) DC XL 15 (2) SQ q1-1200d (2) Crescendo PWX-6's. (more to come someday.)
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.