Second Skin Audio

missconception about speaker wire length!

jouniorlord

There are a few questions I have concerning this topic.

How far does the wire need to be before the phases of the signals are out of alignment enough that it does effect loudness?

In the example you first stated how long the wire needs to be to offset a 50Hz signal 180 degrees. While this would create an exact opposite signal and cause the coils to not move at all.

I don't feel much like doing math right now to find the period of the signals so let's go with 30 degrees out of phase. That is 86.4% of an in-phase signal.

How much would that effect the driver if one coil is 13.6% behind it.

**This is 45o out of phase as I didn't see one for 30o.

02020.png

Mind that large SPL vehicles can have very long lengths of wires going from the amplifier all the way from the back of a van to the front and back, possibly again if you have drivers on both sides of the cabin.

Now let's move on to sound quality. These waves are much much shorter than the low frequency of 50Hz, and consist of multiple frequencies all bunched up together. (I know there are no dual voice coil mid-ranges or tweeters but you do have at least two pair running in a system).

Couldn't an off-phase signal be very detrimental to these drivers?

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Interested to see what people have to say about this.

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

Archived