Second Skin Audio

same box, not as loud?

CJSmith

Ok. I have a 1993 Ford Explorer. In April I walled it off with my 2 18's in between the B and C pillars and it was ridiculously loud. Now, I moved the box up to be flush with the B pillar and it's not as loud as it was. The port is on top, the full width of the box. I didn't know if it was bc the port was so close to the windows or bc it's so compressed. It's all the same equipment and box, nothing has changed. Should I just scoot it back to where it was? I need ides bc I have a car show tomorrow and I have to get all this done, I'm just out of ideas. Thanks for the help guys.

*Rebuid in progress*

LrzV2Vk.jpg

VbjgkeI.jpg

You had more room in front of the box the way it was before for the sound wave to develop and travel. You shortened that distance and effectively lessened the distance the wave can travel. I would move the box back to where you had it before.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

You had more room in front of the box the way it was before for the sound wave to develop and travel. You shortened that distance and effectively lessened the distance the wave can travel. I would move the box back to where you had it before.

That's what I was thinking, since there's less airspace in front of the box. Would I be better off to move it around a lot and test it to see if there's a "sweet spot" that might be louder than the old position it was in?

*Rebuid in progress*

LrzV2Vk.jpg

VbjgkeI.jpg

^^this^^

BMW 325i Kenwood KVT-647DVD

re xxx components

re 6.5 FR's

2 RE XXX 12's

2 US amps MD3D's

2 batcap 4k's

^^this^^

See, I was thinking that might be a factor. I just wanted some good advice before I tear my trim panels off and have to reseal it. Lol

*Rebuid in progress*

LrzV2Vk.jpg

VbjgkeI.jpg

If it sounded better to you when the box was further back, then by all means move it back.

I've had it happen before where something is way louder to the ear but will go down on the meter. And the opposite has happened where I've gained on the meter but it didn't sound as loud. Acoustics are weird. Unless you are competing, the 'ol earometer is the way to go lol

Archived