Optima 1 year old, going bad??

I have a new one 8 months old on floor of garage just not like a XS Power battery.

I agree, my son went threw 2 in a year, optima's are over rated and not very good quality. Now with 2 elcheapo walmart batts, he has had no issues.

truthsayer

I have a new one 8 months old on floor of garage just not like a XS Power battery.

I agree, my son went threw 2 in a year, optima's are over rated and not very good quality. Now with 2 elcheapo walmart batts, he has had no issues.

But the guy at autozone said that yellow tops are the best in the industry

autozone only sells optimas as far as batteries with good use in car audio, at least here locally to me. and the guys at autozone and any other store are supposed to sell to you what is in their store, why would he tell you a battery elsewhere is better and then lose a 200 dollar sale

personally like my xs power, but I have a stinger sp70v, havent had any issues with either..yet

The guy at AutoZone is a salesman. Not necessarily knowledgeable. Folks I work with do the same thing.

I'd take an optima over a tired stock battery, but it's still just a standard low-grade consumer battery. Adequate to put in a car with stock electrical demand. Won't hold a candle to a high end battery like XS

Consumer reports tested the Optima group 78 and listed it second only to the Diehard Advanced Gold... Sears' agm battery. They tested life, CCA, and reserve capacity in their labs. But the same diehard battery in group size 48 rated absolute last with a score of 48 out of 100 possible. This trend is seen with other brands as well. Seems there's inconsistencies even within identical product lines of the same brands.

So whether or not your particular Yellow Top is good probably has to do with the phase of the moon, and position in the sky. If the moon is within 15 degrees of perpendicular in the sky, and 50% or better full within 24 hours of your purchase, your battery has a 79.2% better chance of being "good" than if purchased at other times. Here is some material to help you decide what to purchase:

http://www.moonconnection.com/moon_phases_calendar.phtml

Does anyone else have any scientific links to help a prospective buyer to pick one brand/size over another, or are Autozone sales people and brand fanboys it?

So whether or not your particular Yellow Top is good probably has to do with the phase of the moon, and position in the sky. If the moon is within 15 degrees of perpendicular in the sky, and 50% or better full within 24 hours of your purchase, your battery has a 79.2% better chance of being "good" than if purchased at other times.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

mexican optimas = shitty.

USA optimas = great. but good luck finding one that works because they're all at least 5 years old.

i will have to say bullshit to this.. i have had issues with optima from way back in 2000 with US made batteries. they are just junk

op maybe charging it will help since your alt might not be maintaining it due to you playing music..

im having that same issue with my optima that is about 9 months old. it drops to 12.10 after i shut off the car and drops to 11.84 over night. have have no system so there is nothing to drain it... im going with deka now. never had a issue with them

I honestly have very few issues out of mine. For the price I get them for and the fact that they were really the ones I could make work in my space I'm not disappointed in them. they are not an XS. They are not a Kinetic. Taht I will not argue. I do keep my truck on a charger if its not being driven. It seriously looks like an electric car because of the cord hanging out of it all the time

Heres what I found when I dug mine out.

20130401_191427_zps38d3c9d7.jpg

20130401_131707_zpsb2fe3e1c.jpg

20130401_131722_zps163bcac8.jpg

pretty sweet huh

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Archived